Default Apache Help Please (urgent)

Hi everyone. I just set up my own Apache server. I used my IP as a domain and everything. Now, I'm pretty newbish at this considering I have never done it before. i was just wondering how come I can acess my apache server, and view the files but if I send them to a friend (which is what I'm trying to do) they get an error?

I sort of need an urgent answer if at all possible. Thanks so much.

ps- I read a million websites trying to figgure out how to install and use my apache and it seems like this is the only one I came across who talked to me in words I could understand :-P hahaha thanks so much again.

-Max

Member Help2Go Moderator

Ok, so what's the error(s) your friend is getting? Also, are you at work trying to set this up or at home?

The reason why you're able to access it is because you're the server. No matter if you use the 127.0.0.1 address or your public IP address it's all the same on your computer. Now, we just need to find out why nobody else is able to view your server.

Please, open notepad and then open the file...

C:\program files\apache group\apache2\httpd.conf (or something near to that path) and copy/paste it's contents to your next post. Also, when pasting your httpd.conf file PLEASE REPLACE YOUR REAL IP ADDRESS WITH A FAKE ONE for security reasons. ALSO, if you wouldn't mind, please send me your REAL ip address in a private message so I'm able to test the connection and to see what errors are going on...that is of course if you don't mind doing so.

Partie™

I sent you my stuff in a PM.

I'm very familiar with coding, and fixing up things but if you could help me out I would love it. Thanks again.

-Max

Member Help2Go Moderator

Although you forgot to send me your HTTPD.conf file that's ok. Your problem is that your using a private IP Address. 192.168.0.1 it seems as though you may have a router on your network or something that is providing the IP address for you. What you need to do is setup the IP address that your Internet Service Provider provides you. It'll be the IP address that your router receives and you can look it up here.

http://www.whatismyip.com/

Now, all you really need to do is go into your routers configuration and tell it to port forward all requests on port 80 to the 192.168.1.2 computer. All the linksys' and D-links that I've messed with actually have a virtual server setting to that already helps you setup apache config for the router. Look in the "Virtual Server" section of your routers configuration to set it up. If you have the virtual server section then you don't need to do port forwarding.

Partie™

Member Help2Go Moderator

Sorry for bumping this up but just wondering if you've solved your problem with this?

partie

ugh, accutally I tried my best, but in the end I just gave up and got a domain name. thanks for all your help. But I just couldn't get it to work. I apprcaite the time you took to help me. I hate to let anyone down.