Thread: Strange noise

Default Strange noise

Hope somebody can help. Getting a noise from inside the computer that i can best describe as sounding like a dial up modem(no dial up fitted and i am running a external ADSL modem) but a quieter less frenetic noise(bit like morse). There are no patterns to the noise, no specific time intervals of when this will happen. The noise usually lasts from anything from a couple of sec to approx 12 secs.
    When these noises start the computer "locks" up and i cant do anything even operate the mouse.
    The event viewer does not log any problems.
    I have had the side panel off the computer but still unable to locate. As a matter of course i have reseated the memory and graphics card.
    Any ideas anyone
    TIA

Sure hope you have a way to back up everything as I believe you have a hard drive on its last leg.

The question on Hard Drives is, will they fail ? and really the question is
    WHEN will they fail. I worked on a 1 year old PC, ending up replacing the HD.

Back up your important documents first, then drivers if needed. If time permits then your programs.

Cheers :ยบ)

Thanx basementgeek, i was just about to repost to say that after half an hour with my head in my PC's case i thought the noise was coming from my HD. Did not think HD would make such a noise, but hey u learn something every day.

Just a quick question before i start backing up everything. As i have a second HD (80 Gb Sata) could i copy the windows folder onto it, then when the HD fails i could alter start up in bios to boot from Sata drive, to get Windows up and running, is this possible or am i just going to have to reinstall Windows on a new HD straight away.