Default Laptop Internet Problem - need help.

hey there, i need a little help regarding my internet on my laptop.

I am using broadband, and its connected through a linksys router with 4 ports. I have a network cable running to my laptop, and my brother has one running to his computer (which i am using now.) the internet is fine on here, and has been on my laptop too since Christmas. But around a week ago, one of my friends closed the top of my laptop, sending it into hibernation, when i had Mozilla Firefox still running (i dont know if thats significant or not, and for those who dont know, Mozilla Firefox is an internet browser.)

I have never closed the top on my laptop before, i have never needed too. But on my friends laptop, closing the lid does not affect it at all. But since he closed it on mine, my internet just hasnt been working at all. I tried switching network cables, in different ports in my router, leaving the network cable out for 2 days or so. I even tried hibernating it again, and then "unhibernating it" but no results, so the problem seems to be in my laptop. The other day when i had windows media player open, and nothing else, my laptop just shutoff. It flashed on a blue screen for a second, and i only managed to notice the word "driver". Again, i dont know if this is significant. Since then my laptop has worked fine, but still, no internet.

Thats pretty much it really, so if anyone can help i would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Can you connect using IE ? If you are using Microsoft operating system, you need to have IE installed and up to date, even though you don't use it as your primary connection.

Cheers :ยบ)

Thanks for the help man, but i have that sorted. Work offline is not checked (assuming thats what you mean?)

The message when i try to log onto msn, is just telling me i have no internet connection. Check my internet connection and try again.

Click on control panel, network and internet connections, setup or change your internet connection. Follow the wizard. If it still doesn't work, try going back to the control panel and setup home network. Charlie

I am assuming you're running XP, if not let us know.