Default Limited user account

I recently set up a Limited account to use when browsing the web, as recommended in this article from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...n_account.mspx
    ( I had also seen reference to this on Help2Go)

Strangely, a program I have used for years won't open in my Limited account. I get this message: " Error during installation. Please reinstall." It's American Greetings Create A Card Gold, a simple program. I can open it in the Administrator account, and I have tried reinstalling. What's up with this?
    Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) (build 6000)
    2.10 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
    2GB of RAM
    Gigabyte GA-M5P-S3 Motherboard

When reinstalling the software did you get an option saying only for me or anyone that uses the computer? If so choose anyone that uses the computer and you should be able to access it from a limited account.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

No....at least I don't think so. I have seen that message before with other installs. I'll reinstall and see what happens.

Well, I reinstalled, but same problem.

Okay, this works. I changed my Limited account to Administrator just until I reinstalled my program, then back to Limited. So now we're good.

Keep in mind, if you are not on a domain and you use the "Welcome screen" you can use Fast User Switching to quickly login to an Admin account then back into your LUA (limited user account).

If you are interested, I wrote a tutorial on how to use a Limited User Account for Safety with Windows XP. I don't want to spam the link without asking permission from OSC first. PM me if you are interested.

Also, check out Aaron Margosis' blog on MSDN (Microsoft Developer's Network).

Below is an excerpt from the tutorial:
    What do you do if you need to perform Administrative tasks such as installing programs, turning the XP Firewall off or on, even running an application or game as an Administrator?

Easy enough.

Let's use the example with Control Panel applets.

Open the Control Panel.
    Now press and hold the SHIFT button on the keyboard while right clicking an on User Accounts. Run as... will be an option.

Enter the logon information for a user with Administrator rights. In this example I used "Administrator". Your Administrator account might be "Owner" or your name, etc.

You can follow the same procedure as above with any shortcut on the desktop, or in the Start Menu.

You can even do the same with Internet Explorer, but use caution and only use this when you need to make a change to Internet Explorer's settings or to install a "Safe" ActiveX control (browser plug-in). Using this procedure to surf the internet full time would be missing the whole point of using a Limited User Account!

For those users of XP Professional, you even manage NTFS permissions, run chkdsk, or even defrag through Internet Explorer!

Open the Start Menu and locate the Internet Explorer shortcut. Right click it and select Run As.... Logon with an Administrator account.

In the Address Bar, type "My Computer" without quotes. Click Go or Enter on the keyboard.

Perform Administrative tasks as you wish!
    IMPORTANT: Be sure to close the Internet Explorer window when you are done, otherwise you may accidentally surf with your Administrator-level account! Gasp!

Thanks, FunBard. I will PM you for this tutorial.
    Thought I was pretty smart, but now my program is again not running.

I hope it helps. (and more people use Limited User Accounts wisely to reduce the flow of HijackThis logs on the 'net)

Funbard

Hi FunBard:
    We never really solved the problem of not being able to open my Create A Card program in the Limited account, but as a result of another problem that was caused by me uninstalling and reinstalling CAC, I started a new post:

http://www.help2go.com/public/postt15581.html

When all was said and done and the recycle bin restored and emptied, I can now open CAC in the Limited account. You probably understand exactly how this happened. I don't, but am just glad it's all good now.

Thanks again!

I am glad that you figured it out!

Stay safe!