Default comp hangs on background when shutting down

whenever i try to shut down my computer, itll start to normally then itll flash the blue screen that says saving your settings and then just freeze, hang, on the background. i cannot get my computer to do anything and the only way to turn the computer off is to press the start up button. is there anything that i can do to fix this?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Take a look here about ¼ of the page down "SHUTDOWN HANGS ON “SAVING YOUR SETTINGS". http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm . Keep us posted.

ok well maybe im just blind but i dont see the Personalize Windows Update link on the left. the only links i see are review your update hist., change settings, faq, get help and support, use admin. options, and find hardware support. where is that link the site is talking about? and another related thing about windows update: it says that my comp wasnt validated. i dont know how that can be since windows xp has been on my comp since i bought it. its an ibm thinkpad but that shouldnt have anything to do with my comp not validating.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

The same page as mentioned above
    "When Windows XP won’t powerdown automatically, the APM/NT Legacy Power Node may not be enabled. To enable this, right-click on the My Computer icon, click Properties | Hardware | Device Manager | View. Check the box labeled “Show Hidden Devices.” If it’s available on your computer, there will be a red X on the APM/NT Legacy Node. Try enabling it and see if this resolves the powerdown problem (Tip from Terri Stratton). Or, to check the other side of the APM/ACPI coin, open the Power Options applet in Control Panel. If there is an APM tab, make sure the “Enable Advanced Power Management Support” box is checked.
    Take a further look at this page if this doesn't work and see if other suggestions may be helpful.

As far as validation is concerned, MS has come up with a new validation process for XP. When you go to the update site, it should ask you to check for validation of your copy of XP. Go through the process and if you have a legit copy of XP there should be no problem. If your copy of XP is pirated, MS is offering to sell a legit copy of XP at a fairly good price.