Default explorer.exe application error Need help!

I was getting a "Low Disk Space" error constantly. I couldn't figure out why because my primary drive is 20 Gigs and I only have about 13 Gigs of programs. All of my digital pics and scrapbooking stuff is stored on my secondary HD which is 120 Gigs. I finally found my Temp folder under Local Settings under My Documents. It was holding 8.4 GBs of stuff!!! I was told that I could delete the items in the Temp folder. This was a couple of weeks ago. Then, about 3 or 4 days ago, I was browsing through my secondary hard drive. I was looking through digital scrapbooking kits that contain .jpg and .png files. Instead of the normal thumbnail square that pops up when I open a folder, I suddenly started getting little images inside the big square, some "normal" images and then some of the images had the little "open with" screen inside the square. If I clicked "refresh" the images would "normalize". I use Adobe PhotoShop 7.0 and Elements 3.0. I could open the images fine in PS. Now, when I try to open some images in my explorer window, it closes the program with this error: explorer.exe Application Error The instruction at "xxxxxxxxxx" referenced memory at "xxxxxxxxxx". The momory could not be "written." Okay, this is frustrating enough, but when I tried to open the images in PS, after I clicked "Open" the program just closed! No errors or any warning, it just closed. I ran AdAware and all it showed were Temp cookies. I deleted them. I have AVG and it ran and showed no viruses. I don't know what to do! Thanks!

Dawn

Cut and paste the exact error message you are getting.

BG

I can't cut and paste the error message now, because it doesn't even give me an error message now!! The error message had different numbers and letters in it every time it came up, anyway, that's why I just put the "x" in there.

But, now, it pops up that Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and wants me to send the error report to Microsoft. When I click to view the details of the error report, this is what it says:

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.02600.0 ModName: browseui.dll
    ModVer: 6.02737.1600 Offset: 000368b5

I clicked to see the technical details of the error report and there was a bunch of stuff about modules and some technical stuff with numbers that I don't have a clue what they mean. And there were too many of them to write them all down.

So, now what?????? Thanks!

Dawn

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Your browseui.dll may be damaged and need replacing. This is easy to check out. Before doing anything, create a new Restore Point. Now go here http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...shtml?browseui and download browseui.dll to your desktop. Unzip the file also to desktop. Then go to Start>Search and search for browseui.dll . It should be in C:\Windows\System32 . When you find it, rt click and select Rename, put the cursor at the end of the name and add .old (should look like browseui.dll.old). Now go back to the desktop and cut and paste the browseui.dll file to C:\Windows\System32 . Now reboot your PC and hopefully your problem will be solved. I note on my PC this file was updated in June this year, so perhaps you missed the update for some reason. You should check to see if you have all critical updates from MS.

Keep us updated.