Thread: MPG Videos

Default MPG Videos

Ok, everytime I click on an mpg video, it asks me what program I want to open with. I keep clicking windows media player and checking the always open with this program box, but it doesn't help. I still keep getting asked what to open it with. I went into the properties in windows media player and went to the tab where you check which files it opens, and mpg is not an option.

Is there any other place I can go to change this? Would it have to be done in the registry?

Thanks,
    Leah

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Leah,

The default format for MPG is actually Mpeg which WMP is recognizing if it plays your videos.

Before doing any of this, create a new Restore Point.

Try this, open My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>File Types. Scroll down to Mpeg and click on the Change button and see what is the default program that opens MPEG. If it's not WMP, change it. If it appears to be OK, you could try clicking the Restore button and see if that fixes it (note, Restore will restore all extensions to the original file types).

Now, if none of the above work, go to Start>Run>type in chkdsk /f note the space between the k and / then OK. It will probably ask you to reboot .. do so and let chkdsk do its thing. This should reset the Registry for XP to default.

Keep us posted.

Sorry, I forgot to mention this before. I have windows 2000 with SP4.

Oh, an under file options it says windows media player.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Leah, try the chkdsk route if you want. Take a look here http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...b_tol_pwfd.asp , it should work for 2000.

Thanks, I'll try that when I get some free time. It is on my work computer and I don't have time this week. I'll let you know when I do.