Default Two Routers one Network? IS IT POSSIBLE!!

i have been going to many forums and chats and i cannot get an answer, so to make my life easier and to help the kind person who is going to help me i drew a picture. It is an attatchment. Please help thanks.

Xp OS

Dell computers all around

Only one computer running wireless (laptop)

Comp. On middle floor of house is the "main frame" it is directly connect to the net.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I don't see why you can't do it, but wouldn't a powered hub in room D be an easier way to go. The only thing I can think of that may be a problem is if the router in room D had a built in firewall. I have a similar set up and used my old hub to connect 2 hardwired PC's in another room.

How do i go about getting it done? all I have in room D is a "live" Internet connection (from the network cable) how can i make it so that i can connect both me PS2 and Computer up to the internet so that they both work at the same time, the reason i want to do this is so that i dont have to disconect my computer internet cable and pull it all the way over to the ps2 every time i want to use it

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Just as you have in the diagram. Live Cat5 A or B from your main PC's router to either a power hub or router in room D. From this, you'd run 2 CAT5 A or B cables to the PC and PS2. Routers are automatically powered I believe, but HUBs aren't, so make sure it's powered as you will probably need the signal boosted.

If you need a hands on look at this, go to a Radio Shack (called 'Source' now) or tech store and they'll show you.

i agree with Canuck, a hub (switch) is all that is needed in the second room. Hubs are generally used to give additional capacity to a router. If you look around you can find a hub for around $10 (super sale price), certainly under $20. You can actually keep adding hubs to hubs and connect something like 255 devices through one connection, don't think you'll need that much. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

I have an idea of what you are trying to achieve.
    Your better choice would be a PS2 network adaptor from Sony.
    Have a look at http://www.us.playstation.com/onlinegaming.aspx
    or
    http://ps2.ign.com/

There is also an article at
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...716670-3894437
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Member Help2Go Moderator

yeah, canuck and grim are correct. All you really need is a hub and 2 more cat5 cales. You can think of a hub as an "extension cord" to your router. Not sure where you're from but tigerdirect has a 5 port switch for 12.00 plus shipping. I'm sure any local computer store has some pretty comparable prices.

So, what you do is buy you that hub/switch (no need for a router, more expensive) and take the cable that you have plugged into your computer or ps2 into the UPLINK port on the hub/switch. Get to more cat5 cables, plug them into 1 of the 5 ports on the hub/switch and then plug cable 1 (or 2) into your PC and plug cable 2 (or 1) into your PS2...et voila no more switching between pc and ps2. It would actually look just like your little diagram.

Partieā„¢