Default microsoft excel problem

i know this probably isn't going to be easily answered, but i'll try anyway. Whenever using excel (part of office 2000) if i leave the cursor in a cell for more than 15 or 20 seconds it jumps! It jumps cells, usually up about 10 or so cells. As you can imagine this is highly annoying. I can't contact microsoft because the software was installed when i bought the computer. The manufacturer did no good either. Please help!

ok, update. The cursor jumps even when it's not in excel. i never really noticed, but now it jumps periodically down to the bottom taskbar (the blue bar at the bottom of windows). So i guess it just jumps in general.
    Any ideas why?

THANKS!!

Jon

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Try chkdsk /f to see if there are any damaged windows files. Go to Start>Run> type in chkdsk /f (note the space between the k and /) >OK. A window will probably tell you to reboot the PC, when this happens chkdsk will run through its process. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Default thanks

we'll see if it made any difference. i just ran the disk check. i'll know in a few minutes whether it jumps or not.

THANKS again for the help!!

Jon

Default i have been told that it jumps less, but still jumps!

it's all in the subject.

i hope someone has another suggestions.

Jon

THANKS!!!

My guess would be that you have a program running that is possibly locking up or just in general causing your cursor to be jumpy. You could also just be using a really touchy optical mouse.

to see if a program is causing it:

press alt+ctrl +del and go to the task manager. Go to the processes tab. Now just sit and wait for the curso to jump. Watch the cpu column in the task manager window and see if anything has larger numbers when the mouse jumps or right before it happens. Note the image name that corresponds with the cpu # jump and let us know

to see if you have a touchy optical mouse:

try changing the surface that the mouse is on, change to something light coloured, something less shiny, something dark coloured... see if that makes a difference.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Default JUMPY MOUSE

WELL, I'LL GIVE IT A SHOT AND LET YOU GUYS KNOW!

THANKS

JON