Default help please - how much can a hacker do?

Until recently, I did not have a firewall installed on my computer. I know it is possible that a hacker could have accessed my computer and used it to send emails. There seem, however, to be a number of signs that my actual computer was used, and not just my email or ip address. For example, there is a record of someone searching for phone sex and chat lines on google and craigslist, and an email that was stored in the sent message folder on my hard drive (not accessible on-line). Is it possible that a hacker would/could leave those traces on my actual computer through the internet, or do I need to be concerned that someone physically broke into my room and sat down at my desktop? If a hacker could, WHY would s/he? (maybe that's beyond your purview...)
    Thank you!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Without a good firewall and antivirus program, you are open up to all sorts of viruses, malware and hackers. If you need advice on various free or retail programs let us know. In the meantime go here . Follow all steps 1 to 5. When you get to 5 you will be creating a Highjackthis log. Copy the log and return to this post, click Post Reply at the bottom of the page and paste the log there. Make mention that you've followed through all the steps so that our experts will know what's been done.

This process will check for malware and clean it up for you. Our experts who will take a look at your Highjackthis log and will let you know what to do. Just so you don't worry, this site is free and we are all volunteers who enjoy helping others.

thank you, and i will follow through with the steps, but i have since the incident installed a firewall, mcafee, three forms of anti-spyware software, etc. my concern is whether or not what was done on my computer could POSSIBLY have been done by a hacker, or do i need to have a long talk with one of my roommates...
    thank you!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

A hacker could do this, but more than likely it was malware that was opened up in your e-mail. To prove it was a hacker could be difficult. As I suggested above, if you follow the steps and post a highjackthis log our experts may be able to tell you what has happened.