Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: booting prob

Default booting prob

This is a little hard to explain. I took the C drive out of my computer, long story as to why I did it, I put it back in and ran winXP disk, to restore everything. Now when I boot up it tells me to put in the boot disk, when I hit the reset button it loads XP, a little slow, but with no problems. Why does it do that, and is there any way to fix it?

Somehow, it has lost track of where to go to boot XP. You should be able to fix it through the recovery console. Put the XP disk in the drive and set your BIOS to boot from CD. Boot your computer, the XP disk will load some files (don't worry, it isn't replacing anything). You will eventually get a blue screen that says hit R to repair with the recovery console. Once in the recovery console, you will be asked which windows installation you want to fix. You have to hit 1 and enter. it will prompt for administrators password. If you didn't set up a password, just hit enter. If you haven't moved the windows files around with repartitioning, the command FIXMBR will write a new master boot record, you may need to hit y for yes. That should fix it. If things have been moved around try this command. bootcfg /rebuild That will scan drive and find the OS boot sector and rebuild the boot sequence. Charlie

I wrote down exactly what it says: "Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot device" As long as I do not shut down the computer it works fine. Restarting is no problem it loads windows every time, its just when I shut down and turn it back on again, that's when it tells me about the proper boot device.

I stuck in the xp disk waited for the blue screen pressed the R button. It says "Setup did not find any hard disk drives in your computer installed" it rebooted in 15 seconds automaticly and loaded win xp.

oops meant to say hit 1 not R

You should hit R first for recovery console, it should find Windows and say something like 1 c:\windows. You hit 1 to select it, it should ask for administrators password. then you should be able to enter commands.

If that doesn't work, you may need to do a repair install. Info here:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Charlie

Ok, I booted with the xp disk I had to choose between [A] Restore Wizard or [B] Manual Windows Installation. I choose [A] A black screen came up it said "starting Gateway Restore Wizard" once that was through a list of things came up:
    Partition Physical Drive 0= Yes
    Format Drive C:=Yes
    I didn't feel like writing them all down, anyway, I clicked next. It said it was partitioning hard drive. Then another box came up that said " The specified setup script file (c:\temp\xpp.t) is inaccessible or invalaid contact your system administrator. Click finish to reboot, so I did and windows started to load as normal, when it was finished an other restore wizard came up. Three choices to choose from, " Repair Applications & Drivers" " Repair windows" or " Full system Restore" Should I try to "Repair Windows"?

Try the repair. The Gateway disk is doing things its own way rather than the Windows XP way. Charlie

I tried the restore with gateway, but it told me the windows disk was older than the version of windows that's on my pc, and I will lose some of my files.

Can you borrow a genuine XP installation CD from somebody? You aren't actually going to install XP, you just need to access the recovery console. As in previous post, boot from CD, hit R for recovery console, 1 for Windows, enter Admin password (or just hit enter). Then use the command FIXMBR
    I have used this method to repair the MBR of a Compaq computer that had manufactuer issued restore Cds.
    Charlie

The winxp disk I have it the one that came with this computer, isn't it original? I thought it said that because of the Microsoft updates. I guess I'm confused on exactly when to hit the R key. Am I supposed to wait for a prompt? Or do I hit R as soon as I put the disk in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast