Default DVD player problem

Hello,

I have a fairly old (about 4-5 years) Hitachi DVD player in my computer, this has been set up as a Slave to a recently purchased Sony CD/RW 52x.

The problem I am having is when I come to use this DVD drive, installing a game for example which has music playing from the CD causes the sound to skip and sound sluggish. I have also noticed this when I use the drive to install big files from other CD's and playing a MP3 in Winamp 5.0.

Is this a problem with the configuration of the computer or is it just the fact that the DVD is fairly old in a newish computer running XP?

I am thinking about purchasing a new DVD drive to replace the current one, suggestions would be great.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Normally a DVD player should be set as the master as it requires a little more grunt.
    You can also update any firmware for the drive if there is any available. This will also require the drive to be set as a master drive and also be on it's own on the IDE connection.
    Having said that 5 years is very old for any optical drive. Dust, moisture and normal wear and tear takes it's toll. They do have a limit on their life.
    Considering how cheap new DVD writers/players are these days a replacement may be wise.
    An idea set up is have a dual layer dvd writer installed as a master and a CD-RW/DVDplayer as a slave.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Quote Originally Posted by whoozhe
    Normally a DVD player should be set as the master as it requires a little more grunt.
    You can also update any firmware for the drive if there is any available. This will also require the drive to be set as a master drive and also be on it's own on the IDE connection.
    Having said that 5 years is very old for any optical drive. Dust, moisture and normal wear and tear takes it's toll. They do have a limit on their life.
    Considering how cheap new DVD writers/players are these days a replacement may be wise.
    An idea set up is have a dual layer dvd writer installed as a master and a CD-RW/DVDplayer as a slave.
    Thanks for the advice, I think I will go out a buy a replacement and reconfigure the IDE cable so that the DVD is Master and the CD/RW is slave.

Can you recommend a good brank of DVDR?