Default Explorer not responding

From time to time, my startup hangs up. After the initial splash screen, I get as far as my wallpaper screen and the only activity after that is my cursor/hourglass. When I key in “Ctrl+Alt+Del” I get the Task Window, and see "Explorer not responding". I need to shut down again and restart. The machine goes through "improper shutdown detected" routine and the associated machinations, before restarting. I'm running Windows Me and Explorer 6.0. I've periodically gone through complete defrags; virus/spyware scans and cleaned up what little I found, but the annoyance persists. What are the possible causes and solution?
    Thank you, DRT

I've already answered this question for you in another Forum, link below

http://www.d-a-l.com/help/showthread.php?t=26648

Have you tried SYstem Restore?
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Dino,

As Bear suggests, a System Restore may do the job for you. If not, have you run Scandisk? Take a look at this article on it at MS http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;186365 . Scandisk is ME's version for chkdsk in XP (which upgrading to may be a good move :wink: ).

Tried every available System Restore date. Still have the problem. Will look up article called out by Canuck. Will get back.

LATER:
    Have now read the article suggested by Canuck. I see nothing in it that I haven't done a number of times over. Summary of thorough scan shows "No Errors"
    Thank you, DRT