Default Problems with a cdrw/dvd drive

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble with a samsung cdrw/dvd sm-352f.

When i insert a cd containing anything or a dvd the drive's light just flashes on and off repeatedly, going into the drive shows nothing at all even though i know the cd contains files.

I have disconnected and reconnected the drive and uninstalled and reinstalled the drive in device manager.

I'm having a little trouble finding the firmware flash for this drive, I thought that may be worth a try.

I've also tried cleaning the drive even though it's only a few months old.

Appreciate any help as always.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Click Start then Control Pane the System. Click on Hardware tab then Device manager.
    Scroll Down to CD\DVD drives and click on the + sign
    If there is a yellow Exclamation or Question mark then there is a problem with the drivers and you may need to download and reinstall them. I am not talking about Firmware which should not be considered until the drive is working properly.
    If System shows all is well open My Computer, right click on the Drive letter and choose Properities. Under Autoplay tab disable it.
    What can happen is that some burning software requires Autoplay to be turned off. The drive gets confused and thinks it is reading the previous disk.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thanks for the help guys. I did take a look at the help file canuck but it doesnt really have anything for my specific problem. I also disabled autoplay whooze but the same thing happens. The silly thing is it's not that I just cant burn cd's, i cant even read cd's or dvd's no matter what kind of files are on them. the drive light just blinks away and nothing else happens.

I try going into the drive from my computer and the entire system decides to freeze, i have to terminate everything from task manager.

I'll try and reinstall it again and see what happens.

Thanks again for the help guys, I appreciate it.

try going into your device manager and uninstall it. Reboot your computer and it should find it as new hardware and load whatever drivers it needs. Charlie