Default to reformat or not to reformat???????????

:? I have been having stability issues with my computer lately. Mostly it freezes forcing me to either ctrl-alt-del or restart my system. I added a video card to replace my onboard video (yuk) and experienced some problems. After speaking with tech support I tried upgrading my psu from 230 to 300watts. That didn't seem to solve much. I've thought about nuking my hard drive and starting over but am not sure if that would help either. My drive has about 6gb on it, and it is a 12.7gb drive. I just read in another post about hard drives being good up to about 80%. Also if I take out the vid card and go back to the onboard to see if that helps do I need to remove the drivers for the card first?
    I apologize if these are dumb questions but I'm not much of a techie.
    Thanks in advance.

what operating system? If it is XP, you should have at least 512 mb of memory. Your symtoms sound very much like what you would get with too little memory. Charlie

Sorry, I should have included my specs:

VIA VT8601T Appollo PLE 133T
    Biostar M6VLQ
    celeron 1.3 Ghz.
    192mb SDRAM
    NVIDIA Geforce FX 5500 OC
    Win 98SE

Also I wanted to add, my computer is about six years old and has never been reformatted. I've heard that it should be done every so often, is this true or have I been misinformed?
    Thanks again.

With 98se, a reformat every so often is advised. XP is not so picky. At the very least, you should clean up and defrag. A good utility to clean up your drive is Ccleaner, available here: www.ccleaner.com

If you decide to reformat, backup anything you want to keep, burning it to Cds or copying it to another hard drive is best. You also want to track down any drivers you need. You may already have them on CD, but newer versions are probably available online. Charlie

Thanks for the tips. I do defrag on a regular basis, but I'm going to try that ccleaner you pointed me to. It looks pretty awesome. I think I will also nuke my hard drive, I've already started backing stuff up like you suggested.

A 6 year Hard drive could be failing. Thats getting pretty old for a HD.
    HD are pretty cheap anymore, suggest a you get a new.

Many recommend that you do a format and reinstall once a year.

BG

Thanks for the advice. I gotta admit I never even thought about replacing the hard drive. Maybe I should install a new hard drive than do a back up there.
    Anyway thanks again and expect to hear from me soon if I do the above. I like tinkering around with this but am afraid I have very little experience with hardware and such.