Default How to De-Compress Photos??

Hi,
    I compressed some photos in order to send them as an email attachment, but they ended up too small. When I enlarge them they are fuzzy. So I want to de-compress them and return them to their original size & resolution. Is this possible? And if so how? I compressed them using Microsoft Office 2003 Picture Manager. I saved the changes and didn't save a copy of the original photos. Any hope to return them to their original file size?

My camera has 6.0 megapixels, so I think that contributes to the resolution of the photos being too large for uploading and downloading at a reasonable speed.

I did find just a few of the original photos in my recycle bin because I had rotated them and deleted the ones that weren't rotated. Here's an example of the difference in file size before & after the same photo was compressed:
    Before: Dimensions - 640 x 480, Size - 159 KB
    After: Dimensions - 120 x 160, Size - 3.06 KB

If it would help, I could send a copy of the before & after photo as an attachment.

A related question is -- how to compress photos in order to email them w/out making them too small?

Any help appreciated!

-- photasm

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I'm afraid there's no going back on this. The way to reduce the size (not compress) for e-mailing is to adjust their size with a photo editor. Each editor is different, but usually under format it will give the option to adjust the picture size and also save it at various quality levels.

But the easiest way starts when taking the picture. Before taking a picture, ask yourself what you are going to do with it. If you're going to make an 8" x 12" copy take the picture at the highest quality the camera can take, if however you're going to save to disk as album knock the quality down (you'll see the picture count getting higher on the camera as the quality goes down). If you're going to send by e-mail the lower quality (highest picture count) setting is fine. .. the higher the quality, the larger the file size and vis versa. Remember, you can mix the quality of pictures in your camera ..(for example, take a group picture of family fit for framing at high resolution and then take some general pics of the gathering to send by e-mail set at lowest resolution and go back for another higher resolution pic).

Hope this helps.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

When preparing photos for using on the web or emailing make a copy of the original photo and compress that copy only. A good idea is to save the originals, which are generally quite large, on cd's
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default Thanks & other suggestions?

Thanks for the responses. I have learned my lesson!

Now... Any ideas for how to improve upon the quality of my now compressed photos if I enlarge them to 3x5 or 4x6 from their currently reduced size?

Or is there any chance that there's a temporary or backup file of the originals still hiding on my computer or camera somewhere?

What if I reset my computer to a previous date, to wipe out the changes that were made since that date? I recently did that with good success when I encountered another problem, but don't know if it could work with photos. If so, how to do that? (I forget). :?

Thanks!

You can still use the microsoft picture manager to reduce your files. Instead of compressing them, resize them, as said above. After you click the resize link, select the predefined radio button and in the drop down menu, there are 6 options for how you want the pictures resized. 2 of these options are for email.

Also, ALWAYS click save as and not just save when you make changes to anything like pictures or graphics.

If these pictures were on a camera card and you have deleted from the card, there is a program called PC Inspector that I used to recover files off a CPF card that had died. It is free here:

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

It will take awhile to do it. If you have taken more pictures on that card, they may have been overwritten, and possibly too late.

I have used a free site to send pictures to folks. It is stored on a server and all you do is send the link, to your pictures, to the people you want to. They can review the pictures and pick and choose which ones to down load. You have to register to use it, they don't to view them:

http://community.webshots.com

Cheers