Default Just wondering...

I was told that a custom made computer is better than one you might buy at a retail store. Is this true? Could any one tell me if this is a good custom computer. I would mostly be using the computer for gaming and web surfing. I dont know much about computers but I was told it was a good deal. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks

Custom can be great or they can be crap. It is all up to the builders experience. Many components can be made to work with a particular MOB/CPU, some times they don't like too.

I would go with a pro builder that has been in business for 3 years or so. This way when on these components act up, you have somebody to fix it.

How much is this PC going to cost ?

You can always check Northwest Falcon and Alienware PC, if you really have deep pockets.

I can't recommend a custom built PC, unless you know yourself a lot about the workings of a PC.

BG

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Just to add to Basement's comments, make sure you get a good warranty (3 years if possible).

If you're going into heavy gaming, DSR17, one of our members in Great Britain is a games guru and will I'm sure give you excellent advice on the components you're looking at.

Around $3000, alienware is a lot more with all the accesories for me at least. Thanks a lot

I take it that processor is the new AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor. With that set up you have no worries about games (or anything else for that matter) for a good long time. That is all state of the art stuff.
    Make sure you get Windows 64 Bit Edition to unlock the true potential however.

$3000! Are you sure? I know computers are cheaper in the US but £1700 for that setup!? Who is building this computer? If it is a custom build it may well not come with a monitor or peripherals such as a mouse or keyboard so add these to the cost if this is the case.

If you really want to tweak some extra juice (not that you need it), try getting the hard drives set up in RAID. Although this means you will only have 400GB of space it means your hardisks can effectively do 2 things at once as the same data is stored on each one and they can be read/written at the same time. You will be hard pushed to fill 400GB of space for a while too.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Dave.

Yes, the price is around $3000 (S&H included) The person has been building custom computers for about 10 years I believe. Ok well thanks a lot DSR17, could you tell me just one last thing; is the computer case important the type of desing I meant(for cooling reasons) Thanks a lot

AMD processors run a lot cooler than Intel ones but a good cooling system is best for any computer. With the high powered graphics cards and motherboard you will have I would recommend at least three fans, preferably two intakes at the back and side (facing the mobo) and one exhaust at the top (because hot air rises). The graphics cards should come with fans and heatsinks attached but a cooler system is a more stable system. You could get by with one intake and one exhaust but the more the better (see how much noise you can stand). The larger the fan the better aswell. Most good cases these days have at least what I have said so you should be ok.

Let us know what frame rates you get when you get the computer as I would be interested to know with that setup.

Cheers, Dave.