Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hey

it seems i may actually be getting a new system but i guess ill find out for sure tomorrow.

my only thing is on the inspiron notebook i added users and also i have some files on there.. i think i just have some pics of me and um... thats about it. so i cant delete any of that so theyre going to see it *shudders*

Hopefully i dont have any passwords saved on there, that would suck... 8O

another one of my issues with the computer was that its SLOW AS HECK. I just asked them if this was normal because this OLD computer im using NOW is faster then the dell inspiron! im not sure what processor that this is though.

update--

someone from dell just emailed me, he said before i make the decision of getting a new system that he would tell me how to restore it to factory setting so to speak

so he did, and it worked. but i lost all data..fortunately, i barely had anything on it

however i responded and said i am wary of keeping this system for fear of in a few months time this might happen again and i will end up loosing A LOT of data

you know? I mean, i could see if I did something wrong for the laptop to jack up but i barely used the thing at all. I wathced my dvd on it (remember my last thread? :lol: ) and used aol and that was about it!

what are you guy's thoughts? im really pretty uneducated when it comes to this stuff. but so far personally i dont trust this system..

i also further told him that the built in mouse button (dont know the proper word) only works sometimes.. that is another thing i dont want to live with

on this computer i click something once and its done

on the inspiron i have to click it about 2 times

and, its slow as crap. I admit, the slowness is my fault. i only got a celeron M processor and figured i can update later

but i never expected it to be THIS SLOW. i cant even open two explorer pages at once without it freezing. any of you reading this have a celeron M processor and know if this is normal???

The freezing is probably not due to the processor, but due to the amount of RAM. I believe we suggested at least 512 mb, did you only get 256? If they are going to let you return it for free (no shipping), I would return it because of the mouse issue. XP will run slow and freeze if you are trying to run it on less than 512mb. For normal use, you won't notice much diffrence between a Celeron or a P4 of the same speeds. Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Grim322
    The freezing is probably not due to the processor, but due to the amount of RAM. I believe we suggested at least 512 mb, did you only get 256? If they are going to let you return it for free (no shipping), I would return it because of the mouse issue. XP will run slow and freeze if you are trying to run it on less than 512mb. For normal use, you won't notice much diffrence between a Celeron or a P4 of the same speeds. Charlie
    So basically if I want to upgrade to something I may as well get a ton of ram rather than upgrading to a p4??

Yes i only got 256 cos i figured id get a little now and upgrade to something more later but i didnt know it would go as slow as it does.

I just used the computer and the mouse seems to be working fine now which is odd and the computer isnt nearly as slow as it was when i was first using it. Maybe it was so slow that it seemed like the mouse wasn't working but it was really just a major delayed response.

i'll test drive it some more tomorrow and see how it goes

Im still worried its going to sometime in the future do this to me again and i'll loose all my info. I guess with any laptop it could do that. but i am interested in the reason it did this to begin with. i did nothing to it. i asked the rep why he thinks it happened but he skipped that question :roll: I just asked him again.. hopefully he answers 8)

Im staying clear of loading anything onto the new laptop until its been a few days with no problems.

But i will say i am so far pleased with this representative. quick informative responses. Thanks to whomever it was who suggested i email them.

It could just be that for some reason XP was never installed properly and it wasn't running good because of that. Now that you have it restored, all is well. If you want to run multiple programs, an additional 256 or even 512 mb of RAM will help. Others may have opinions about Celeron and P4, but I personally don't see any real difference. I'm not a gamer and don't push my computer to the max, undre those conditions there may be a difference. Charlie

Thanks. i read around what you said on 2 other sites too which is why i decided to just choose the celeron

then when it came i was like "wow this is slow"

but now computer is actually running really great. and i will update to more ram sometime soon

i got this computer with like 40g hard drive ..i think thats what the 40g is. but when i look at my stats it says i have only 33g and 23g available

why only 33g?

Click on MY COMPUTER. Do you have a C and D drive showing as hard drives? There is probably a 5 or 6 GB sytem restore drive. That is what you used to restore your system, it contains all of the info needed to restore your computer to new condition. For now leave it alone. If you should decide you need that space, you can burn the info in that drive to CDs, then erase the partition. BUT PLEASE DON'T DO THAT YET. I would suggest that you look through your info and go ahead and burn a set of system backup CDs, but don't erase the partition. Charlie

Ooh i see, thanks for clearing that one up

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123