Default Monitor problem?

Hi everyone, back again after a long while away - I see there have been a few changes since I was last here!

I'm having an intermittent problem with my monitor and wondered if anyone could offer any advice : from time to time the entire image on the screen will suddenly expand and become very fuzzy and then retract to its normal size and definition. Every time it does that there's a sort of clicking sound. It's OK at the moment but last night and this morning it was constant. The drive isn't affected, everything else is working normally.

Any ideas please? :?

TIA
    Steph

Not an expert on monitors, but I would think that this is a sign that the monitor is getting old and may need replaced soon. The only maintanance thing I know of is to degauze the monitor (demagnitizes). Exactly how you do it depends on your monitor. Charlie

I think this was what we called "Blooming" in TV's. If memory serves me right this was a high voltage problem. Been too many years to be sure.

The clicking could be high voltage arcing to ground.

Never take the back off a monitor or a TV UNLESS you have a good idea what you are doing !!!

So take Grim322 advice, try another/replace the monitor

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Basementgeek
    Never take the back off a monitor or a TV UNLESS you have a good idea what you are doing !!!
    BG

Excellent advise, the capacitor (even with the monitor unplugged) stores enough of a jolt to prove fatal. Leave it to the pros. JMHO
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Hi Charlie, Basement and Bear - thanks for replying

Charlie - I did a google search for (degaussing) but I couldn't find a degauss option on my monitor so wasn't able to go down that route. Basement's idea that it's a high voltage problem sounds right though, even though I do have a surge protector - the wiring in this place is rubbish. I've never blown so many light bulbs, I probably change at least two per week! Thanks for the safety warnings though

The local computer engineer said it sounded like the monitor was going south and either to change it for a new one now or, as it's an intermittent problem, to wait until it goes and buy a new one then. Think I better start saving!

Cheers
    Steph