Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default computer running really slowly

hi, i'm wondering why this brand new store bought (rebuilt) computer is running so slowly. It takes FOREVER to run any program.

Please let me know what info you need. i can't tell what the programs the computer is running when it starts but because i don't know what any of them mean (using msconfig, startup).

I know this is vague, so please, let me know what other info you need ot help solve problem.

THanks

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Have you tried disk cleanup and defragmenting?

Default defrag

working on that right now.

Also, i'm having a real issue with microsoft word.

the computer came with 2003 installed but only for 30 days. Once the trial period was over, i used my office 2000 disc and re-installed that over the 2003. Excel, powerpoint, access work fine, but for whatever reason, whenever i open word, it pops up, but then just sits there. control alt delete bring up the screen saying that it's not responding...even after a few seconds after opening word. I concluded that it doesn't respond even after immediately opening the program.

Any guesses?

p.s. i'll keep working on the defrag and clean up.

THANKS!!!!!

You probably should have uninstalled 2003 before you installed 2000. Did it give you any warnings or anything when you installed 2000?

Default word 2000

it asked me if wanted to save over it and i said yes. once i did that and everything was installed, both still worked. i was a little confused. then when i opened word i got the error.

i then used remove program from control panel and uninstalled both versions, shut down, restarted, and then reinstalled 2000.

still got the error.

you are right though, i should have just uninstalled 2003 first.]

any advice from here?

I'm sorry, No i don't. But I'm sure someone else here will be able to help you.

Default still have problems with word

hi,

is there anyway i can just download a different version of Word from microsoft's website or from another website? I don't want to promote piracy, i just need a very basic (even older) version of Word!

All of the other office software works fine, it's just Word that's giving me problems.

Thanks,

Jon

There is a free office suite called open office, you could try that.

Here's a link. I've never used it before, but I think it is compatible with word and wordperfect. http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.4/index.html

Um, you might try to repair your office 2000. I THINK if you insert the cd, when the screen pops up, it will give you an option to repair or uninstall the program. You might try that, too.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

When you uninstalled 2003, was it just Word or all of Office? Suggest you try uninstalling all of Office and then reboot and try a complete 2000 install. Don't forget to download the updates for Office 2000. And no, there isn't anywhere to download Word. If none of the above work, you could delete all and install OpenOffice http://www.openoffice.org/ . It's free and compatible with MS Word. A number of our members use it.

Default office 2003/2000

i did uninstall OFFICE 2003, not just word.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I'll try the open program and see what happens!

Thanks!!

Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast