Default Start Up problem.....

Hai Friends.....
    I require your help.
    I have two problems .....
    1. In msconfig>startup, I found two items checked and I would like to know what will happen if I UNCHECK them:
    StillmageMonitor - C\Windows\System\Stimon.exe
    KB891711 - C\Windows\System\KB891711\KB891711.exe
    I think these two items are checked by default. I would like to know about these two items and will it be in order if I uncheck them.
    2. I sometime use Mozilla Firefox browser.When I open the browser window I some times find back, forward and stop buttons are dull, I mean inactive. As a result, no window loads. Why is it so ? I referred the help files. But I did't find any useful information on this.
    Please somebody respond.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Here is the info on the startups:

Process File: stimon or stimon.exe
    Process Name: Microsoft Windows 98/ME’s Still Image Monitor.

Description:
    stimon.exe is a process belinging to Microsoft Windows, and provides additional support for scanners, digital cameras and other video input devices. This program is a non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

And

Process File: KB891711.EXE
    Process Name: Windows Security Update

Description: KB891711.EXE is a Windows Security update process which is installed on mainly Windows 98 machines and provides additional protection from Internet-bound threats. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.x

You can deselect them from startup in msconfig, but do not delete them or stop them from activating. Deslecting in startup does not get rid of programs, justs stops them from loading on startup .. they will load manually when you select programs that are related and turn off when finished using the program.

2. Suggest you uninstall Firefox and then reinstall (you may get away with trying to install over the exising one.

Thank U, Canuck.
    I am happy for your immediate response.
    Thank U again.