Default win 98 gives error message when trying to update

I have an old Compaq Presario 5070 that I am trying to refurbish. It has been FDISK and Formated, then loaded with WIN 98 SE (twice). When I go to the MS website and try to download updates I click on "Scan for updates" and then get an error message "Windows update error" and it won't go any further. I updated the BIOS and don't feel there are any problems with any of the devices in Device Manager. I have used the disc (WIN 98) on other machines and didn't have this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated because I get these machines donated, fix them up, and then donate them to people that can not afford a computer.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I suggest you go here and download the updates to disk, you then won't need to access MS for them when updating other 98 pc's http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d.../corporate.asp .

Hope this helps.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

An alternative is download BIGFIX from www.bigfix. It is free. Once installed subscribe (also free) to the windows 98 section and eversham.
    You will have access to and be able to install all critical updates from withing the program. Remember to reboot after each update and keep them in order.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thankd to both of you for your help. I still was having problems until I found the root problem. FYI, the date was set to 2016 and Windows would not permit me to do the downloads. Resetting the date to the correct year solved the problem and it is now possible to use the regular was to download the updates. However, I still like the idea of making a CD to avoid the long downloads. I was not thinking clearly or I would have done it before, because I already do it for programs like Adaware, Spybot, Winzip etc. Again thanks for your help...next time I will know to check the CMOS battery, set the time/date and expect it to stay!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Good point larry47, thanks for getting back to us