Default Fresh. (Look at new computer specs)

Sorry that other thread was getting old. Here is what I selected, though I won't go thru with ANY purchase until another 2 weeks or so. Please let me know if these choices are any good. is this a slow system, etc?

Refer to this post for better idea of what i'm talking about.

Here are the specs:

Inspiron 6000 Intel速 Pentium速 M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)

Operating System Microsoft速 Windows速 XP Media Center Edition 2005

Display 15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel

Memory 1GB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms

Video Card Integrated Intel速 Media Accelerator 900 Graphics

Hard Drive 40GB Hard Drive

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Adobe Software Adobe速 Acrobat速 Reader 6.0

Combo/DVD+RW Drives 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive

Wireless Networking Card Intel速 PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)

Office Productivity Software No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only

Security Software No Security Subscription

Digital Music Musicmatch速 Jukebox Basic

Battery 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (53 WHr)

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr Technical Support

Dial-Up Internet Service 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included

Digital Imaging Photo Album SE Basic

Financial Software No QuickBooks package selected - includes limited use trial

Operating System Backup & Recovery Microsoft速 Windows速 XP Media Center 2005 Edition backup CD

Now, here are some questions if anyone could be so kind to answer.

1. Does windows XP media edition take up more space than the regular windows XP? (Does it run well on 1 GB Ram?... is it easy to navigate like windows XP is?) In my situation is it better to just change it to windows XP home edition?

2. My current wireless is not internal and is linksys 2.4GHz, is the wireless i have selected worse than my external one i am currently using?

3. Any changes I should make? Is the harddrive of 40GB ok or should I change it to something else? I will be loading a lot of programs and photos, etc. Am I better of purchasing an external harddrive if anything so if my computer ever crashed all my music information saved onto external harddrive would be safe?)

Now, for anyone interested, here are the specs of my current laptop that iam not happy with due to its slowness and lagging while trying to make music:

Intel(r) Celeron(r) M Processor 350 (1.30 GHz/1MB Cache/400MHz FSB)
    (I know this one is a 1.3GHz and above is 1.7GHz so doesn't seem like much of a difference, but apparently a pentium M of lets say, 1.4Ghz, is MUCH faster than a celeron M of 1.4. )

Display
    15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel

Memory
    256MB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 1 Dimm

Video Card
    Integrated Intel(r) Media Accelerator 900 Graphics

Hard Drive
    40GB Hard Drive

Operating System
    Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP Home

Network Card
    Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Adobe Software
    Adobe(r) Acrobat(r) Reader 6.0

Combo/DVD+RW Drives
    24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive

Wireless Networking Card
    No Wireless Selected

Office Productivity Software
    No productivity suite - Corel WordPerfect word processor only

Security Software
    No Security Subscription

Digital Music
    Musicmatch(r) Jukebox Basic

Battery
    6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (53 WHr)

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options
    90 Days Ltd Warranty, 90 Days Mail-In Service, and 90 Days Technical Support

Dial-Up Internet Access
    6 Months America Online Internet Access Included

Digital Imaging
    Photo AlbumTM SE Basic

Miscellaneous
    Award Winning Service & Support

Financial Software
    No QuickBooks package selected- Includes limited use trial

Any help, comments, etc is appreciated. don't want to get the wrong notebook again

Im aiming for the new one to be much faster and run much smoother than my current. however, the new one seems to have more features, etc so im wondering if that will just slow down the system. but i did select 1 GB of Ram so not sure if that will be enough or not?

Another thing that concerned me about the inspiron was that it doesn't have nearly as many inputs on it. on my old laptop i could hook up a midi controller, on here i don't see one. although it has two USBs. i dont want to find out i cant hook my gear into the laptop..is there a way to know? do some laptops just have less then others? i thought they all just came with standard things on the back. this one barely has any?

Thanks!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi rockstar,

Yes, your other post was/is getting pretty long, however you should stay with that thread. There is no point in starting a new one as information will be repeated. I think the members who have answered your questions so far have done an excellent job and given you alot of information/recommendations. At some point, you are going to have to make your own decision on what to get using the info already at hand.

I am locking this thread .. please use your original one for any response.