Default using laptop as a TV\extra screen

I hope someone can help me with this problem as I have been searching maniacally for an answer! I will be going to university very soon and therefore space in my room will be at a premium! I have recently become aware of reasonably priced pieces of external hardware that you can buy for about £30 which allow you to hook your PC monitor up to your GameCube\PS2\XBox or whatever in place of a TV screen.
    However the problem I have is that in none of the places which advertise these gadgets say whether they are suitable for LAPTOPS which obviously do not have a separate PC monitor. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite M30-742 with Windows XP. I hope someone out there can help me and give me an answer to my question. It really does sound too good to be true, and therefore I don't want to spend my money only to realise that it won't work with my laptop! Please tell me whether I can spend some of my poor student funds on this piece of equipment!

Thank-you!

P.S - The pieces of equipment are usually called XGA or VGA converters. My laptop has a TFT XGA display if that is any extra help!

Member Help2Go Moderator

Using a Laptop as an Xbox Display

Generally, this is NOT possible. The video (S-Video, VGA) connections on laptops are OUTPUTS. They will not accept an in-bound signal. In order to get anything on the screen from an external source, you need a Video Input. It may be possible to connect an external Video Capture device to the laptop and use an composite or S-Video cable from the Xbox, but these connections are limited to 480i and the results may not be optimal in any case (i.e. - it may lag a bit, see below for more details).

http://talk.xboxsolution.com/threade...tml#post129960

Default how about a flat screen monitor?

I see what you mean about the S-video thing being output (there is one connection hole thing with an S in a box with an arrow pointing out to the right) but I also have a thing at the back which has a sign like a TV screen by it and is a 15 hole pin female connector with screw things either side. What is that for?
    Also - you are basically telling me there is no way to be able to use my laptop. Therein - would it be possible just to purchase a cheap flat screen monitor and use that on its own as a screen with one of the converters?

Thank-you.

Member Help2Go Moderator

but I also have a thing at the back which has a sign like a TV screen by it and is a 15 hole pin female connector with screw things either side. What is that for?
    That is for an external monitor. A computer monitor like one of the big ones (CRTS) that desktops come with.

Therein - would it be possible just to purchase a cheap flat screen monitor and use that on its own as a screen with one of the converters?
    It depends on what you mean by "cheap". Not sure why you would even want to get a flat screen monitor when you can buy the same size/quality flat screen tv for about the same price. Especially since you say "...use that....with one of the converters" so not only would you purchase a laptop monitor but still have to purchase the converter. Eitehr way you go, Flat Panel monitor/TV good luck finding anything under $200 USD. I've seem then as cheap as $250 but that was about the best I can ever find.

you are basically telling me there is no way to be able to use my laptop
    I suppose, yes I am and I'm not. I'm not really saying that it's impossible just impractible. I can give you links to parts that will turn your laptop into a TV but the problem is the quality of the display you will be getting from your XBOX.

Partie™

The problem you also have is by useing a laptop screen you would pretty much just be able to play by yourself, maybe one mate but if you wanted to play halo (and why wouldn't you on an x-box ) you owuld struggle getting everyone to see the screen decently. You'll get this too with a cheap flatscreen. The only alternative is to take a 14inch tv, and just rest your x-box on top when not in use, should save you some space.

I think the hardware you're looking at is mainly designed for people with decent sized CRT's, that are basically TV's without tuners in this respect.

Default Argh GameCube lol

If you think that I could use my laptop as a screen I would love to know how, so long as it doesn't involve taking it to pieces @_@
    I am not worried about the size of the screen as I think my laptop is big enough...although it is a 'panoramic' shape (15.4" Wide View display) so maybe not such a good idea.
    I think I am going to pursue the idea of getting a separate monitor (you can get them very cheaply off eBay! of course you have to add the postage but still for about £20-30.
    My question now is thus - do you think it is worth purchasing a separate LCD\flat panel monitor or TV to use with one of the converters? I could a good condition monitor + converter for about £50 all together.
    Last edited by PeachBlossom; 05-24-2009 at 03:00 AM.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Wow, sorry I wasn't able to comprehend your post. I guess maybe I figured that since I saw the word XBOX that you had an XBOx, not one of the other 2. The same scenario still applies but I suppose whatever you wanted to do will work I just hope you don't go and spend your $ on something and not have it work for the $ you spent on it. What people usually get to play these games on laptops or their pc's is to buy something called a TV Tuner Card. They have internal ones (for desktops) and USB ones (for laptops). This one here I hear is one of the better ones for your money...

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...=done&nextloc=

If you have the extra $ why not buy the stuff you said you could get for £50 and also did you happen to find this hardware on line? I wouldn't mind seeing what you mean by a "convertor" because that is awefully cheap!

Partie™

Default no prob

Dear Partie
    I am now pursuing the idea of getting a separate flat screen PC monitor and then hooking it up to one of the converters (I'm going to get a monitor for under £10 by picking it up from location)
    Sure I can explain a bit more about these 'converters'. I'm not sure how they work but they are normally called XGA or VGA converters and can also be used to play TV or your game consoles (i.e. XBox, GameCube, PS2 etc) on a PC monitor screen. You get a box and wires which you then attach to your game console and monitor in order to use it as a TV screen. I'm not sure how the box works - something about transforming different signals...? But from the feedback I have managed to glean from sellers they seem to be good value.
    You can get them from about £30 (plus P+P) although the most expensive are up in about £60-70+. eBay is the cheapest place but any pricecomparison software should show them up if you just search for 'XGA' or 'VGA'. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two but I think it has something to do with the display on your monitor. I hope this helps
    Last edited by PeachBlossom; 05-24-2009 at 03:00 AM.

I think although I may be wrong in this that I have seen one of these little devices in action, they are very good. We were pursuaded that playing halo with 12 people was a good idea (which it was) and instead of putting us on a small screen we used a large CRT. Personally I would still be a bit iffy using a flatscreen but if space is a premium which it will be in a small room then thats what you need. Hope you enjoy yourself !