Thread: Bootleg XP

Default Bootleg XP

unfortunately for me, Im running a bootleg copy of XP. I do not have service pak. 2 & cannot download any security off the internet. I do own a Panda pckg. & am satisfied with it. However, spyware has gotten thru my system--Im guessing from my daughters music program Limewire. I know Im screwed here but my question is....Should I buy a new copy of XP in the store & install it starting over fresh? Will this solve my problem of spyware & put all my security back in tact? any suggestions are welcome..
    Thanks

Basically yes. You will need to wipe the drive clean and install a legal XP program. This will remove everything, giving you a clean slate to start with.

I am going to transfer this to our Q&A. Some one there will advise you on all things that you need to do.

BG

I think that you may be able to ring up and purchase a serial number and you may be able to upgrade (SP2) and put in your legitimate serial key. Doing so shouldn't cause too much havoc but you may just have to research it a bit. Also if you do it this way you need to ensure your machine is clean of any mallicious software. If you want more info let me know and i'll see if i can find it for you (it's in a magazine somewhere around the house).
    Cheers, Lucent.

To be sure you start clean, a fresh install would be best. Backup your important data and files by burning to CD, then you can reload, but make sure you scan everything with an anti virus program before reloading. Microsoft is offering to let users of pirated software buy at a reduced price. If you go to the Windows update site it will tell you that you need to validate your copy of Windows. When it fails validation you should get further directions.

Once you are running a legal copy, download all service packs and updates. Download Microsoft Antispyware and make sure your anti virus is up to date. Also recommend Spyware Blaster from Java Cool. Charlie