Default Disk partition help please

hello everybody.
    I need to put a partitions on my working computer. can anyone give a alternative for partition magic please. I will buy it if i have to but thought I will check here first if a free type is available because you people seem to know all the good stuff. THank you

You can download a free trial of Partition Magic here:
    http://www.soft32.com/download_151.html
    it will work for a limited time but should do the job for you. There are other alternatives, but Ithink the trial Partition Magic is the best way to go.

Charlie

Thank you for the reply. I will try it.

Hello again. The help from grim322 is only a evaluation trial version so it does not put the partition in. Any help about freeware for adding partitions would be very good. Thank you

Here is another option, it involves a Linux Live CD, but do not panic- you are not going to install Linux and you do not need to know anything about Linux. Every Linux CD includes a program to shrink the existing Windows partition to create space for Linux. I will tell you how to shrink your C drive (main Windows partition), then format the space created as a Windows partition.

BEFORE YOU START - BACKUP ANY IMPORTANT FILES
    Everything should go fine, but you can't predict things like power failures.

First- download Simply MEPIS 3.3 here: http://iso.linuxquestions.org/distro.php?distro=11

Burn it to CD as an ISO image (your CD burning software should tell you how)

Second- defragment your hard drive, twice is recommended

Third- Set your computer to boot from the CD drive, put Linux CD in drive and boot. It will run Simply MEPIS from the CD, but it will not install
    Sign in as ROOT, password=root

Fourth- After you get a red screen, find and click on the install me icon (DON'T WORRY WE ARE NOT ACTUALLY GOING TO INSTALL)
    Click on install MEPIS on hard drive

None of these changes take place until you hit commit

Click on "Run QTParted"- that will open a box showing your partitions. The main Windows partition is usually /dev/hda1

Right click on your Windows partition, and choose RESIZE

In the box labeled FREE SIZE AFTER, type the size (in MB) that you want the new partition to be. That will create free space.

Right click on the free space, click on create

Select partition type (NTFS or FAT32), click OK

Click on file(top left), then commit- changes will take effect.

Click close, then click on the K in the lower left of screen and logout, restart computer

remove CD and it will boot to windows, check your partitions.

Charlie

thank you charlie it works!
    I was careful with the instructons whitch i printed but then i took my time and things are realy good.
    This is a good place for help with computers. I am dyslexic but can still work out this kind of help but sometimes my mum helps with thr typing
    thank you

Glad it worked, save the MEPIS CD, if you ever have problems with your Windows system, the MEPIS CD can bail you out. See article here:
    http://www.help2go.com/article241.html

Charlie

Default Will he Mepis miracle work for me? Partition Table Invalid!

Hi Grim,
    "Something" happened and after a very slow P.O.S.T. I am getting "Partition Table Invalid" and sometimes "Disk Boot Failure, Insert system disk and press Enter" This is XP SP2, 1Gig DDR333, Primary Active C: Part D: 80Gig Fat32, 2nd HDD F: 120Gig Fat 32. (E: WAS another Physical HDD that I removed because it was showing up correctly in BIOS and ControlPanel but NOT at all in MyPC...) This has been the case for a few weeks now and I am exploring "fix" solution rather than "reformat & reinstall". My Ghost 10 image is locked up in all this, I have no restore points, failed to make a Ghost restore disk and once when I got a choice screen, Last Known Good did not work. I have done a Repair XP Install, loaded Defaults in BIOS, HDD's show up correctly in BIOS, done a Parallel XP Install, boot.ini is correct, Restore Console and FixMBR and FixBOOT do not help. Seems to me that there is "something" between "Updating DMI Pool Data... and the OS start that is corrupted.

I just ran across the MEPIS 3.3 trick of adding/modifying a partition and am wondering if it will restore/write new MBR and Partition Table that will get me going. I realize that this is not the intention of the "trick" but would like your comments on whether you think it might be worth a try in my case, or hopefully you have a better suggestion? Ineed to fix what I have so R & R is not an option I want to consider! Thanks for any insight you care to offer.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Please start a new topic with new questions
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I TRIED to run QTparted. I get to the box with the hard drives hda, hdb, hdd and when I click on the drive I want to partition to set mepis on it, it opens a box with a a VERY fast screen that says 50% is done and then CLOSES the entire box without permitting me to start the process to do any of this.

is this more of a mepis question instead of this board?