Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VAIO On Screen Display

Ok, I have a Sony VAIO and when you press a volume buttonrhe On Screen Display pops up and shows you the current volume level, just like on your home television.

Suddenly, this has simply stopped showing up. Any clue why or how I can get it back?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Go to Start>Control Panel>Sounds & Audio Devices>place a check mark in the 'Place volume icon in the taskbar' box>OK and it should appear. Let us know if this does the trick for you.

It didn't work, sorry. This only puts the little speaker icon in the taskbar. I mean the bright green thingy.

Like that:
    Volume
    [] [] [] [] [] [] | | | | | | | |

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

OK .. I know now what volume you're refering to .. I believe it has to do with the Sony setup and not XP. Even though you can't see it, does it adjust the volume still? The key may no longer be assigned to volume if it no longer adjusts.

I remember from your other post that you were trying to get Office to recognize handwriting and audio. Have you installed Microsoft IntelliType Pro software version 1.0? If so check this out http://support.microsoft.com/default...243747&SD=SONY

Sounds like you have something other than a 101/102 key standard keyboard. Probably a key board with different added keys to access IE/browser/search/shopping/ sound, etc.

Go to Start>Control Panel> Keyboard and check to see is if the sound is enabled. I can't tell which tabs, etc to look at since I do not have this set up.

BG

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The problem is probably with a file called OSD or On Screen Display.
    This is the file used by keyboards etc to display actions on screen.
    The keyboard's own software must be installed and active for this to work. Generally an icon for keyboard and/or mouse settings sits in the systems tray. If it isn't there then you have the software inactive.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

But see, it still adjusts the volume... It came back for a while, but when I did a reboot, It disappeared again. I'm so frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by whoozhe
    The problem is probably with a file called OSD or On Screen Display.
    This is the file used by keyboards etc to display actions on screen.
    The keyboard's own software must be installed and active for this to work. Generally an icon for keyboard and/or mouse settings sits in the systems tray. If it isn't there then you have the software inactive.
    There is no software that I know of. This ketboard came standard with the computer package. If it's changing the volume but not showing the OSD, is it really a keyboard problem? :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by Basementgeek
    Sounds like you have something other than a 101/102 key standard keyboard. Probably a key board with different added keys to access IE/browser/search/shopping/ sound, etc.

Go to Start>Control Panel> Keyboard and check to see is if the sound is enabled. I can't tell which tabs, etc to look at since I do not have this set up.

BG
    Nope. It's a standard 101/102. It only has extra buttons for Vol+ Vol- and hibernation.

My father has a VAIO machine too and I know exactly what it is you are refering too.

I would also assume it works in a similar way to my logitech keyboard in that it alters the master system sound as such I wouldn't bother too much about it. It may be slightly easier but it isn't an ideal solution. You would be better setting your master volume to somewhere between 80% and 90% and then altering the volume on your speakers. This way you aren't forcing the sound card to output at maximum and you should get better sound, although this will be limited by the capabilities of your speakers, if you are using the standard VAIO speakers then it may not matter too much but I find it does make a difference when playing through hi-fi speakers.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast