Default A:\ drive-The disk media is not recognized

I have recently installed MS Word 2002 on my computer. Whenever I insert a floppy disk, to open files, a box comes up saying A:\is not accessable, the disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted.

I thought perhaps something was wrong with my floppy disk, so i had disk recovery done on it, but the box still pops up. I think it is more a problem with my drive A:, then my floppy disk.

I checked in system Info. in File Converters and under MS Word next to Can Open Files...it says False. Could this be the reason why I am unable to open files from my floppy disk? If it is how do I fix it?

I have Windows XP Pro, Version 2002, SP2, Pentium lll, 664 MHz.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Did you save to the floppy from your computer or did you get it from someone else? It sounds to me like you should have formatted the floppy before writing to it. I've lost info because if this before. Can you open the floppy on another computer?

Hi

It may be the floppy itself which is damaged...

Can you read any other floppies on your computer ?

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

PM from debbles

Hi steam:

Actually I had the disk before I installed MS Word. But here's the thing, it works on other computers. I had some corrupted files on it so I had disk recovery done, as well as the files transferred to another disk.

I also tried using a completely new disk with no files on it whatsoever, and tried formatting it on my computer, but it said disk cannot be formatted.

Is it possible that it could be the actual physical drive itself that has the problem?
    Hi debbles

Yes it does sound as though the drive may be faulty, or the controller may be faulty (part of the motherboard).

here's where I think your problem lies...

1. faulty floppy drive

2. faulty floppy cable

3. faulty floppy controller (this would most likely mean replacing the motherboard - treat this as a last resort)

4. BIOS setup wrong...(if it used to work, and you haven't changed anything in the BIOS, then the BIOS settings should be OK)

Try these :-

1. turn your computer off.

Put a floppy in the floppy drive (not a boot disc)

Boot your computer...

If the BIOS is showing the floppy as the first boot device.... it will try to boot from the floppy first, and if your floppy is working, you should get a "non-system disc error" > remove the floppy, press any key and your computer will continue the boot sequence.

2. Put a floppy in the drive and go to "my computer"... double click the floppy drive ... does the led on the floppy light up, ? do you hear any noise from the floppy drive ?

3. Go to My computer > right click > properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager > click the + next to "floppy disk drives"

> then right click the "floppy disk drive" > properties > Troubleshoot .... see if you acn find the problem

post back any questions you have, or anything you don't understand...

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

i have the same exact problem with my hp system and i had posted a note but did not get responses. anyway the error msg is that the floppy is not formatted would you like to format (while they are formatted already) clicking yes results in media cannot be read. the device manager indicates the i/o device controllers are working ok. infact it will not even read a boot disk but flies thro' and starts windows. i have used the same floppy drive on compaq and emachine and they work fine. while floppy drives from the other machines return the same error if i switch them to the hp. if i remember i wrote the error msg it's somwhere but kinda like there was a problem with floppy controller while reading .... well this really could be a mobo problem?
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.

texsized,

Please start a new thread for your problem rather than asking in another member's thread. You may think you have the exact same problem but if you don't have the exact same computer and Windows version it could be something entirely different.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Excuse me
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi texsized,

Bear mistook your post as a question, as did I until I read it twice. You've made a valid observation texsized, did you come up with a solution to the problem?