Default How can I connect a USB device to an old PC?

I have an old Dell Dimension XPS P133s that does not have a USB port. I would like to use it in my garage to work with the Powercommander PClllusb to tune the electronic fuel injection on my motorcycle. In order to use the software, I need to be able to attach a USB type A cable to the old Dell, like I can presently do on the front of my newer Dell.

The Dell's operating system is Windows 95. It has a 9 pin serial connector (male), a parallel port and a 15 pin female port of some type.

What I'm wondering is whether there is a way to attach a Type A USB cable to this old Dell and, if so, whether or not Windows 95 will be able to communicate through it. Does Windows 95 have the proper drivers?

I've seen adapter cables that have a nine pin male connector on one end and a USB type A connector on the other end, but I need a female 9 pin to attach to the male pin on the back of the old Dell. Anybody know of a way to make this work?

It all depends on what version of windows 95 you have.

Run through this page and see if it helps you:

http://www.usbman.com/Win95%20USB%20Guide.htm

As to connecting it to a serial port I'm not so sure on this, if your computer can have USB you might be able to buy a pci card to go inside it, the PCI standard is fairly old and I am fairly sure it was around when 95 was. Although it has to be said when I had a 95 pc I thought what went on inside was some kind of magic

It may be easier to just keep your eyes open for a second hand computer running Windows 98 that you can pick up cheap that has USB ports already. 95 just wasn't designed for USb and as the article pointed out by cruz says, IF it is possible, it is limited. Charlie

Like he said above if it is supported you may be able to buy a simple USB port that just goes in a PCI port. Im also pretty sure Ive seen connectors that switch from a female end to USB, so that still might be an option.