Thread: NIC

Default NIC

When trying to network 2 computers together (they already share DSL connection via Netgear Router) do both computers have to have a NIC installed? and do they have to have the same OS?

:cry:

The both need a network card, but they need not be the same operating system. It is easier if at least 1 is running XP because XP has a built in network wizard to set things up. You can creatre a floppy disk with the network settings from the XP computer to run on a 98 or ME computer. Charlie

Thank you Charlie. Unfortunately, the two OS in question are 98 and 98SE. No Network wizards. :?

I have 1 installed NIC on the 98 (IBM Aptiva E Series 545) the other is a HP Pavilion (98SE). I have another NIC but seemed to have lost the installation disk for it.

You can probably download the driver for it as long as you know the manufactuer and model number. Charlie

Thanks again Charlie. I will try and locate a driver for it.

Like Charlie said its alot easier to set it up with XP because of the built in networ builder, but what you do have to worry about is what OS you have. They need not be the same, but most of the newer router requires windows 98 SE, which usually messes up alot of users cause they only have 98, which using just98 and not 98SE can give you alot of headaches and problems.