Default Microsoft Office 2003 Installation Help

when i try and install microsoft office 2003, in the middle of the installation it comes up with an error which says:
    "Error 1402. Setup cannot open the registry key UNKNOWN\MSComctlLib.TabStrip.2\CLSID. Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact your Information Technology department for assistance."
    after that the whole installation is cancelled. how do i fix this?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You may need to install this program as Administrator .. if you're not. Or using the Administrator's main account.

Assuming you have administrator rights there is an alternative method but it involves going into the registry.

Assuming you're running windows xp do the following.

Start --> Run

Type regedit then hit enter.

Navigate to the registry key which is in question. Once you have found it right click it and select export. Then save it as something you will know what it is, i.e. Before office install proces, and save it somewhere easy to remember i.e. my documents.

Then delete this key and try installing it again. If it works it will rewrite the registry entry and everything should be ok. A similar thing happened when I recently tried to install a program and the values written were identical, but I believe a similar program may have altered the registry making it unable to be written to by the newer program.

If however it doesn't work, to undo the changes simply go to the file you exported from the registry and double click it and select yes you do want to add it to the registry. This will reinstate the first registry entry.

Having looked briefly on the Microsoft webspace this may also be of use:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302853

how do i navigate to the registry key when its UNKNOWN\MSComctlLib.TabStrip.2\CLSID

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

When in the registry editor, go to Edit>Find>enter the key and see what comes up.