Default computer (not on) in very hot room all day, should i worry?

Hello, I'm wondering if I should be worried or not. I have a very new Dell Inspiron 700m laptop, and it was sitting on my desk, turned off, in a small bedroom in which I accidentally left a space heater on full blast in the morning. Consequently the room was heated for about 12 or 13 hours and by the time I got home it must have been 85 degrees in there (or warmer, even?). I really don't know what the temperature was for sure, but everything in my room was warm to the touch (walls, desk, appliances including computer which was in the closed position and off). Computer seems to be working fine but I thought I should get someone's opinion who actually knows how temperature affects computers. Thanks for any input.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Your PC can withstand fairly high temperatures, some hard drives run at over 100f, and of course the temps you're talking are quite common in Equatorial countries. There is no question that PC's run better when cooler and less strain is put on the fans for cooling, but as your PC was off I wouldn't worry.

I would say you wouldnt have to worry to much. Since your laptop was closed and seem to working fine, I think it didnt hurt anything. Yes a computer can overheat and things like that, but really you want it cool just so it will run faster.

--Scott

Default thank you

Thanks to you both for replying. I really appreciate it and I feel much better. I am not going to worry about it, but I will definitely take more care in the future.