Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!

Default HELP!!

Let me begin by saying I have run the housecall virus scan and the Adaware and they both report no problem. I ran another advertised free virus scan and it found cookies and other threatening sounding things but to continue I had to purchase the software, which I wasn't prepared to do at the time. I cannot even remember what it was, it was not one of the more well known ones. Here's my problem: First let me say I am no techie and will probably use the wrong terminology.

Out of the blue, my computer crashed. This was the first time that had happened and the computer is a 2 1/2 - 3 year old Dell Dimension
    I started it again and it has only "crashed" completely 1 more time, but runs so slow it is about unusuable. The typing is delayed in any document I am working on. I've cleared out many files but even that action is a slow process. Can you help me?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi smerelda,

Have you been doing basic maintenance on your PC? Disk Cleanup and Defragmenting? Also in Internet Explorer go to Tools>Internet Options>click the Delete cookies and Clear History buttons. After you've done these basic four steps, you should see some speed improvement. Ideally, one of the best investments you could make would be to add another 256 of RAM memory.

If your're worried about malware, I suggest you continue by going here . Follow all steps 1 to 5. When you get to 5 you will be creating a Highjackthis log. Copy the log and return to this post, click Post Reply at the bottom of the page and paste the log there. Make mention that you've followed through all the steps so that our experts will know what's been done.

Keep us posted.

Thanks so much for responding. I've never inquired of a service such as yours before. I'm going to the site you suggested and will post the log.
    Until then a few notes FYI
    1. I do try and keep up with routine maintenance
    2. I had already cleared history and cookies
    3. I usually always surf with Netscape
    4. I have had no previous problems with this computer. It has served me well
    5. It does have a strange malady that I have just "learned to live with."
    If I shut computer down, after I turn it on again, when it gets everything loaded I cannot access anything from the desktop nor the "start" icons. All I get is the icons doing the "shaky shaky!" I can hit the "escape" key and all is well. It's been doing that for over a year....never fails.
    Off to the suggested site..........

Anpther thought has occured to me. How much free space do you have on your hard drive? Ideally, 10% to 20% free space would be good. XP and other programs need 'elbow room' to operate, the less room the slower the PC gets. If this is the case, save unused data to cd and delete any programs you no longer require. If you do this, and there's a fair amount of changes, another defrag may be in order.

A great little utility i.Disk can show you what is taking up the space on your PC http://www.memecode.com/index.php and it's free.

Just to update: I have completed all the steps from the link you sent EXCEPT the "ActiveScan." I can't find that particular version of software by that name on the link. All are downloads but I couldn't find that name. I still have to run the SpyBot. I have it downloaded but went ahead with a current defrag just to be sure and it is taking a very long time. So far everything that I have run has said basically "no problems."

I'm a little afraid of the last link you suggested that will tell me what is using up space. It seems there are a lot of "delete" options and I'm not that skilled.
    One point: On the defrag opening it posted I had capacity 37.24GB, 28.86 Free space, and % Free space=70% That was before the defrag. Does that mean anything?

PS I just checked and these same amounts are given when I click "properties" on "my computer." So it seems I have plenty of disk space - right? Or no? Could I have an overheating problem? My son's laptop acted similar to this once and it was overheating. Do desktops generally overheat? Thanks again, sorry to be so dense.

smerelda,
    If you are right when you say that is 70% free space your more then fine on space. This is a good question you have, and Im not to sure. But to answer your other question, yes a desktop can overheat. I have actually seen alot more cases where desktops overheat way more then notebooks. Most of the time its because the tower is in one of those desks with the little cuppord for your tower. Which it can get pretty darn hot in there. Just be careful

--Scott

Hi smerelda,

The i.Disk program is just a visual for you to take a look at which programs are taking up the space. If you delete anything, use the Add/remove in Control Panel. As you note however, you do have ample free space.

You could take the side of your PC tower off and see if there is dust, especially around the fan areas. You can buy cans of compressed air from a computer store and blow it out (make sure unit is off and you touch metal to ground yourself from static before going in).

In the meantime, let's take a look at your Highjackthis log .. our experts may spot something.

Quote Originally Posted by billgates
    smerelda,
    Most of the time its because the tower is in one of those desks with the little cuppord for your tower. Which it can get pretty darn hot in there. Just be careful

--Scott
    Hi Scott! Thanks for responding. I never considered the "overheating" due to dust bunnies before, but you are absolutely right! My tower is tucked away just as you described, and I pulled it out and I do see the bunnies around that area.

I posted my hi-jack this log and will wait to see if there is a demon hidden there. If not, I need help on just how to remove the bunnies. When you say "be careful" I dont know if you mean for my safety or for the computer's safety!

However, the loss of either one at this time would be really inconvenient for me! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck
    Hi smerelda,

You could take the side of your PC tower off and see if there is dust, especially around the fan areas. You can buy cans of compressed air from a computer store and blow it out (make sure unit is off and you touch metal to ground yourself from static before going in).
    Hi again Canuck and thanks again.........
    I can visually see dust when I pull the tower out from where it resides.
    You wrote:
    "(make sure unit is off and you touch metal to ground yourself from static before going in)."
    I'm not sure what you mean about "grounding myself" and about "going in."
    Sounds like I should be vaccinated! LOL

Could overheating be the reason my desktop icons do the "hippy-hippy shake" after a reboot? As long as they are shaking it renders the computer useless. But clicking the escape key stops it and everything works fine....until lately when it began crashing and dragging along.

Hi smerelda

I've checked your log and it's clean...

Have you ever noticed when you undress in the dark, you sometimes see flashes coming from your clothes... this caused by static electricity... well if you take a can of compressed air to your computer and have any static, this will jump to any components you accidentally touch and could damage your computer... touching (grounding) the case first, discharges this static, so that you don't do any damage.

Make sure all the fans are still running as well... even run the computer with the side off for a while and see if that helps (as long as there are no children or pets around, who may get inside the case)

As for your "desktop icons do the "hippy-hippy shake" after a reboot?" I've never heard of that one before, so i can't really suggest anything specific.

running ccleaner will help to remove more unnecessary files from your computer, which may help.

cheers

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast