Default Neverending story of a booting PC

Hello everybody!
    I am facing a quite irritating problem starting my pc: once I switch it on, only the power supply and processor fans will activate, while all the rest remains silent for an ever-increasing time(at first just for a few minutes, today...for nearly thirty!); then, the DVD reader starts making some sinister sound (it never happened before) and only at this point the usual booting procedure will begin. Could anyone tell me what is going on, and if there are any chances of recovery? Thanks in advance!

Kushana,
    Again like other stories Ive heard this could be a good sign your harddrive is going. Im not 100% but it sure sounds alot like others that have told me. Just to be on the safe side i would start backing up your files, when you actually get your computer started.

--Scott

Thanks for the reply, even if it doesn't sound good...A strange thing about the whole issue is that if I shut down my pc and then restart it immediately, everything works fine. Some people told me it could depend on the power supply: what do you think about this? Thanks again!

Kushana,
    Yeah now that I hear that if you simply restart it it works fine, that sounds a little more like the power supply. Just to be on the safe sife when you get on I would still back up any files you want. Then just do a simple google search and there are programs out there can scan your computer and tell you if your harddrive is going or not. If it comes up fine, I would say power supply.

--Scott

I'm using HDD Health, and all the values are above the threshold, so the hard drive should be going(but I'm well aware it is five years old, so my files are safely copied on CDs...).
    Then, power supply...?
    (The question mark looks pretty paranoid, but I'd like the situation to be as clear as possible when I'll go wandering for pc assistance in a town where you can't trust computer sellers...). Thanks...again!

Actually, this could be a result of the hard drive being old and may need to be replaced. What maybe happening is that it takes a while for the hard drive to spin up when you start the system cold, but once it's spun up and operating, and you reboot the system, the hard drive operates normally.

If everything else seems to be working correctly, I would probably focus on the hard drive befor the power supply.

JimK

And the problem was...the motherboard! Thanks for your co-operation!