Thread: Anti-virus etc

Default Anti-virus etc

Hi, I bought my PC privately about 14 months ago and received upgrades OK until 2 weeks ago when I tried to upgrade my McAfee anti-virus but received message saying account not valid, I therefore downloaded Zone Alarm firewall, AntiVir XP anti-virus, No Adware, and Zeropop. My question is, How can I uninstall McAfee as there are no instructions about how to do so, and are the other 4 OK to leave on or will they work against each other? :?

I would think McAfee could be removed by clicking on Start>Control Panel> Add/remove programs. Try removing it this way.

As far as the things you installed ZoneAlarm is a good program
    The AntiVir XP anti-virus, no clue what this program is. Need an exact name of it. The same with "No Adware" need name. Zeropop should be OK as long it is version 3.0 or above.

Really need to careful which ones you select. Many, many are "junk" programs, some contain spyware/malware they claim to remove. i.e. considered "Rogue" programs

Everything you need, firewall, A/V, anti spyware/walware etc are available, all for FREE .

Check our article here:

http://www.help2go.com/article163.html

BG

Hi BG, thanks for answering, I have been to Add/Remove but there is no sign of McAfee there and there is no Uninstall in the programmes dropdown. Regarding the other programmes I got them from Help2go's Safe Software Sites by clicking on Read This Article, then to FreewareWorldTeam, then Security. AntiVir on page 7, when I click on AntiVir read me it says ; release notes for McAfee DAT Files, by Network Associates Technology. I also got NoAdware 4.0 and Zeropop- Don't know what version, but still get quite a few pop-ups. Isaac.

the antivir is an a/v program. i use avg and avast but recently got hit by winct32 virus and only antivir got it. i concluded to find a combination that works well with each other.
    i have added panicware's pop-up stopper. i find it very effective youhave to press Ctrl key to allow anything popup. even when i occasionally use internet explorer i surf free of popups. and it works fine with mozilla and opera; and they too have internal pop up blockers making it even more water tight sorry popup tight.
    here's the link navigate to your browser type http://www.panicware.com/product_psfree.html. or use this link http://www.download.com/Pop-Up-Stopp...=dl&tag=button
    as far as uninstalling a program if you exhaust all your options check out bruteforce uninstaller. don't have much to say about it maybe somebody can shed some light on it.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Brute_Forc...BFU_d4714.html
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.

Hi texsized, thanks a lot , will try. :lol:

texsized:

If your are using two A/V at the same time, you will have problems.

Basic rule One A/V and 1 Firewall

BG

hi Basementgeek

thankyou for pointing that out i overlooked to empahasize on that. yes indeed that rule is true - otherwise proceed at your own risk.

here's what i did recently on a dummy test pc i keep around (i always wanted to do this ... and for no particular reason really) while running WXP Prof. (w/o sp), Zonelarm and AVG i added Avast, Sygate Kerio FW, Outpost FW and Antivir AV. Outpost and Kerio conflicted with (all indications pointed to) zonalarm. PC hanged up and wouldn't bugde. through a process of elimination i have the first four doing ok and i realized removing Antivir AV freed up alot of system resources.
    big caution again i did this on a dummy pc i keep around fully functional though. it's the 4th week now and so far this is working for me, not sure if i'll continue to keep though.
    nevertheless, i highly recommend one each of a FW and AV.
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.