Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Blue screen of death when attempting to play games.....

Hey folks

No idea how much help i can hope to get with a blue screen of death problem but ill put it out there and hopefully one of your good selves can help me. I recently installed a new game and after the installation attempted to play it by clicking on the exe, the comp crashed to bsod and the message ' a device driver has been caught trying to corrupt the system. The kernel currently on the stack must be replaced with a working version' appeared. Despite exhaustive efforts by myself to update all drivers and scan for every form of virus and spyware i have been unable to solve the problem. I also checked all physical components RAM, CPU etc...

An interesting point to note is that after reinstalling the game didnt fix the bug i downloaded a no cd fix for the game and after clicking on the new exe was able to play it no problem.

This suggests (to me) that the crash occurs when the system goes looking for the cd to confirm that i have an authentic version, the no cd crack circumvents this problem in the short term but means that i am constantly experiencing these crashes when i install a new game.

I would be very grateful if anybody could shed anylight on this problem or point me in the general direction of a solution.

Cheers

Hi ampjohnny - You say, "when I install a new game". Are you saying you have this problem with EVERY new game, or every time you start a new game in this ONE game? What is the game? If this is a new, official copy it sound like it could be a problem with the disc itself, in which case you should have no problem getting a replacement for it. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Sorry, should of specified that it first happened with rome total war the first time i tried to play it. I got a crack and continued on happily playing, i then bought the expansion pack barbarian invasion, it started crashing again as soon as i click on the game exe.

I got the crack for barbarian invasion and was able to play that with no problems. I have just bought football manager 2006 and the pc crashes every time i click on the exe. There is no cd crack for this game but i have attempted to mount a cd image, i believe i have done it correctly but the pc still crashes every time i click on the exe.

Cheers

Hi ampjohnny - I see you are running XP. How much RAM do you have? Also what graphics card are you using.
    Your processor is borderline requirements for football manager 2006, but is well over for rome-total war. Do you have the latest drivers for your cd and graphics card? Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

i have 768 ram and have up to date drivers for both the graphics card and the cd and dvd drives.

The plot thickens huh?....lol

Cheers

You could have a look here and see if anthing rings a bell :idea:
    http://www.sigames.com/sibase.php?type=view&id=184
    Do you play online? Have you cleared temp files.
    Regards.

Try this - Start the game Rome-Total War in such a way as to recreate the BSOD. Note the time. Then Start>Control Panel>Admin Tools>Double Click 'Event Viewer'. Click 'System' in Left hand window and a list appears in the right hand window. 'Double click' the time of your event and you will be shown an 'Event'. Note the details. Repeat the process with 'Application'.
    Do this all over again with 'Football Manager 2006'. Is there a common theme in the event reports? Regards.

Is the original Cd a legally bought version, or is it an illegal pirated version? Charlie

Cheers galena ill try that when i get home tonight and post an update in the morning.

Its an authentic copy charlie, bought by me.

cheers

Hey

Sorry for the delay in checking your last bit of advice, followed your directions but dont have a lot to report as no 'events' showed for the computer crashes either time. I did it exactly as before and it crashed as usual just as i clicked the exe file but when i checked in the event viewer there was nothing for the corresponding time under application, system or security.....

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast