Default Putting my HD in another computer???

Hi, I have a computer from work (Pentium, 256 RAM, 64 MB Graphics) which has had the hard drive removed. It was going to get thrown out but I said I'd take it as a base to build from. What I was wondering is if I take it home tonight can I take the hard drive out of my home computer and put it in this work computer to test it? I 'm worried that if I do this I might lose the data on my home computer's HD. Many thanks.

Sorry your HD will not work installed in the PC. HD drive needs an operating system, and this PC will not see the Op system that the HD is installed.

You can get a little idea if it has a shot on working. As long as it has RAM installed you will get a message on the PC that there is no HD installed.

BG

As long as they are giving it to you, take it. You can build a new system with it. You will eventually need to track down the drivers for the motherboard, but you can do that after you have it running. You will need:
    1. A hard drive (start around $40)
    2. An operating system (Windows starts around $80, Linux free)
    3. Drivers for the motherboard, sound, graphics, modem, network card

Windows will boot with a set of default drivers that let you get up and running while you find and install what you need.
    Linux usually includes the drivers with the operating system.

Once you have it working, you can network it with your other computer, share files, printers and your internet connection. If you are on a broadband connection, both computers can surf independent of each other with the addition of a router. Charlie

i don't if there's much testing you can do. however, i also agree definately take the computer. now as far as testing if the only thing that was removed was the HD then you pretty much can get it going again as per grim322's suggestions. if you are familiar with swapping hd etc, and you still want to test this system you can mount your hd and boot the system. if you you have an os on this hd and your work pc mobo has some drivers still boot up and see if it will pick up the os. otherwise you'll get an error something like no os present. then you can use a boot floppy to boot up. if you get to the a:\prompt dir your c drive to "see-into-your-hd". your data should not be affected at all. NOTE: to avoid corrupting your hd unplug the power cord and press the on button once to get rid of static power (lying around in the computer wires) only then dismount/mount the hd as needed.
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.