Thread: donating old pc

Default donating old pc

I have a new pc and want to donate my old gateway OS Win98 SE. i have personal info on the hard drive. Have done a reformat but am not sure if that will prevent some savvie techie from still getting at it. Is the reformat enough? or is there something else I should do to prevent it? what and how do I do it.

all input will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Lionmom

A reformat will prevent the average person from getting anything off of your computer, BUT to protect from a computer savy bad guy- you need to use a program like DBAN to actually do a secure erase of the hard drive before you reinstall the OS. Download either the floppy or CD version here:
    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

If you use the Cd version, you need to set the computer to boot from the CD drive as first option. Boot with either the floppy or CD in drive, choose auto mode and it will erase every hard drive it finds. Reinstall the OS and not even the FBI can retrieve info. Charlie

Just be sure you have a full OS CD to reinstall as DBAN wipes everything, including any OS on a hidden partition usually accessed with recovery discs.

Thanks for the info. I have just downloaded the files and burned to cd. I will try it over the weekend. I did not see any instructions for it. they must be in one of the .zip files in the readme file.

thanks again.

Diane

If you downloaded the CD version, it is an ISO file. You will need to burn it to a CD as an ISO image (check your CD burning software for info on burning ISO images). If it is burned correctly, there will be several files on theCD, not just 1 large ISO file. Simply boot from that CD and follow the instructions.

If you download the floppy version, it is a zip file. Unzip it and run the dban i386 file. That will create the file to put on the floppy. Boot from the floppy and follow prompts. Charlie