Default Sharing a modem...security!!!

Hi All-
    I have recently started to share a wireless modem with my roommates, I am just wondering about security. Can they peek in my computer? Can they access sites that I look at etc. How about my journal which is on word on my desk top?!!!!

How safe am I?

Thanks

Member Help2Go Moderator

How safe am I?
    Now, that all depends on how computer savvy you think your roomates are.

Are you guys members of the same workgroup? Do you guys like to share files/folders between the network? Is anyone sharing a printer? If ALL of these answers are no, then go here to learn how to Disable Windows File and Print Sharing

Make sure you have XP setup to make users logon each time to use the computer (basically, making sure when you turn on the PC, you get the logon screen after bootup, not it booting directly to desktop). If you have it setup to directly boot to desktop goto your start menu > click "run" > type "control userpasswords2" (no quotes) > click "ok"

After the "user accounts" window opens make sure there IS a check in "user must enter a username and password to use this computer". That will bring back your logon screen.

Now, go into your control panel and double-click "user accounts" to open it. Make sure the built-in administrator or owner account (that could be the account you're using) has a password and also make sure that the guest account is disabled.

Now, if you're using XP Pro, you have more security options that you're able to add if you're up for the task. The above steps should stop the small time computer user. If you'd like to see more advanced/robust options in secure your computer (once again, if running XP Pro) go into your start menu click "run" > type "gpedit.msc" (no quotes) > click "ok". There you will be in the group policy MMC snap-in. Trying not to write you a book about the Group Policy MMC why not just read up about it here ---> http://www.theeldergeek.com/group_policy_editor.htm

Following some of these precautions should help you. One thing I always like to live by though when it comes to network security... No matter what you do, if someone wants in, they'll get in, that doesn't mean you have to make it easy for them...

Partieā„¢

How to Encrypt a Folder in Windows XP

How to Encrypt a File in Windows XP

thanks a lot, I uninstalled the sharing files thing. I am not with xp pro. How about a firewall? Would that work? Don't really know why i am being so paranoid, it's not like i view anything sordid, i just like my privacy!

A firewall like Zone Alarm free should block outside access to your computer. I use it on my home network and even though I have file and print sharing turned on, the IP address of the computer must be in the trusted zone or it is blocked. Available here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Securit...arm-Free.shtml

Charlie