Default Windows 2000 Network is down

Hello! This is my first post. I got some strange spyware and virus on my PC which started giving me strange winlogon.exe errors and told me mdms.exe is not working. After a looong struggle, i succeeded in removing this pesky thing. Now my Windows 2000 network is not working. I cant surf the web nor i can see other PC connected to my LAN. I also have Windows XP, on which everything is working fine.

Can someone please tell me how to get the Network running on again on Windows 2000? be sure to know that the network connection icon is blinking and i re-tried making the connection again (IP settings etc.) but same problem.

Does it means that the malware has destroyed Windows 2000 network related system files?

Help is needed here.....

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Possibly. The best thing is just recreate the network from scratch.
    If you have an XP machine on the network create the network on it then use the network wizard to make a floppy so the settings can be transfered to other computers without XP.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

With all due respect whoozhe, the network setup wizard will not work with Windows 2000.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...overvieww.mspx

The Network Setup Wizard can only be run on computers using Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows XP Home Edition, or Windows XP Professional.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.