Default Replacing Socket 370 Mobo any suggestions

the motherboard in my sister's college work computer (wordprocessor email net surfing) does not post. it's a emachine 633ids tower i have tested everything else on it and it works fine so i would like to retain same stuff including the cpu but replace the faulty mobo. i want to to keep close tabs on the budget upto $50 maybe. at that budget i don't expect a top of the line perfomance only something that should at least not just go burst and at least have some level of reliability as far as basic use needs. but i don't know which mobo would be an ideal replacement. i will appreciate some suggestions here.

below here's the link to the emachine. the emachine is upgraded to 256mb (max), hp Cd-writer plus, i have access to WXP Pro i was thinking of upgrading that when it becomes alive. everything else is pretty much as the original. it's foamfactor is micro atx (23.7 x 22.7 cm)

http://www1.shopping.com/xPF-E_Machi...s_ETOWER633IDS
    [2]

if somebody can comment on refurbished mobo's. here's some i was looking at around $24+/-.

http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/mezvm.html

FYI this is how i tested the emachine parts - i stuck a compaq 7360 and hp xe742 mb inside the emachine and they boot just fine using xthing of the emachine including it's 256mb max ram. i stuck the emachine mb inside the other two and same results - does not post.
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

I doubt if a HP/Compaq Mobo will work in anything but a HP/Compaq system as both have propietry components that are far from standard.
    Getting hold of a cheap Mobo depends on the what processor you have.
    The older the better your chances. Then the older means less chances of getting XP running at a reasonable rate.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

hi whooze

it's an Emachine the processor is a 370 socket intel celeron 633mh. i understand about proprietary mobo's. still i have to get any mobo that will work in this machine, whichever that can support this celeron. i am looking for leads on some hardware sales websites where i can get a reasonable deal. does anybody have favorite sites they can share with me?

I did some looking around and the info I'm finding says the E-machine mobos aren't proprietary, so if the mobo will take the processor, it should work. Just be sure you can find the drivers for the motherboard before you buy it because many times a refurbished board does not come with a driver CD. Charlie

thanx charlie. am on the hunt for a mobo now.