Default Shared Folder Access

All of a sudden I am having trouble accessing The My shared Folder on one the networks on my computer. This had never been a problem before and now when I try to get at it I get a message access denied etc. etc. I have five computers on the network and they all have the same problem.

I have checked the permissions and they are all set for sharing. I tried it by disabling the firewall and that still did not help. This is most disconcerting especially since it the computer my Itunes is synced up with. This is a standard microsoft home network. The host computer is a Dell Desktop Dimension 2400 with a pentium processor. There is an 60 gig hard drive with about half filled up. I've rebooted etc., but nothing seems to work. I can also access other directors, but anything the all users folder I cannot get to. :cry:

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Have you tried re-setting up the network. This will probably need to be done on each PC.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Sometimes update patches to certain applications or operating systems break down network settings. As Cunuck suggested redoing the setup should work. You may have to create a new network name.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I was able to solve this problem, and I am still not sure why it is set up this way. My impression is that the actual file was in the Documentsand Setting/Allusers folder on the C drive. This was the directory upon which I made sure the settings were set for sharing etc. However after some digging and looking I noticed that on the MyComputer icon ShareDocuments was also listed as a folder. I had thought it was just a shortcut leading to the other folder, but it seemed to have the same properties as a folder and that is where the sharing properties had been changed. After I set them for sharing everything worked. My question is, is this a duplicated folder or some XP way of setting up folders?

I have noticed it on several occasions that that folders such as My documents also appears in different places.