Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pip

Default Graphics/ Tv card?

Hi guys,

I am a little bit green and need some advice on what to buy. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 and a Samsung 173P screen that has both digital and analogue cables. I am having to use the analogue cable but would like to get the most of the screen and view TV pictures. My questions are:

1) Will I appreciate a 'much' improved picture using a digital connection?

2) Do I need to purchase a dedicated graphics card for this (as the pc doesn't appear to have a digital connection) and if so what would you advise? I am not a gamer but use my PC for editing pictures, word/excel and the internet.

3) Otherwise, I have been looking at TV tuner cards such as the Twinhan Ter D&A - would you recommend this?

Many thanks for your help. :P

Phil

Hey man

Heh, well actually I can't answer that question. It's what you want to acheive with your computer. the 4600 is a good buy, but it has limited expansion options. And my opinion is that digital is the way to go! But again it's totally what you want to acheive. Why not consider an All in wonder video card, that's if you want to enjoy tv watching on your computer. But since you only do pictures, word/excel and the internet, you could keep the Intergrated graphics card already on there. I have no experiance with the Twinhan Ter D&A but after looking at comments in various websites they are good comments. Take care

KMFDM

Pip

Thanks for responding so quickly – I’ve been away for a few days. It’s funny but a work colleague said the same about Dell.

What would you recommend as an All-in-One graphics card? There are numerous to choose from and I don’t know one from another. I know that you can spend £400+ for cards, however I was thinking around the £80-90 ballpark. Can I get something reasonable for this and still meet my needs or will I be compromising on quality?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The All In One would mean that if you have a restricted number of PCI slots it would be a better option.
    For standard TV I have ran a Hauppauge Win TV card on a system with a mere 2 meg onboard video without any problems at all. The card does most of the hard work. You can get many cards for under $100. These cards can aso capture Video from VCRs and CamCorders but not digital ones. I still use an old camcoder through a capture card as my Web Cam.
    Now if you wanted to view digital TV/Cable For digital TV, especially high definition you woud need to invest in a graphics card. The advantage of having Digital card is combined with a 100 gig drive you can record a TV and burn it to a DVD at DVD quality. Some cards come with dual tuners so you can record one program while watching another, do time shifting and basically everything a $500 DVD recorder can do.
    Most cards of all types come with FM radio as an extra.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Pip

Let’s see if I have got this right? I think that I would like a graphics card with a digital connection and that would allow me to watch digital TV. Graphics cards use either the PCI, AGP or PCI-express bus systems. My Dell provides 3 PCI card slots and an AGP connector. However, the AGP slot is sighted alongside the PCIs and doesn’t appear to allow access out of the back of the PC. What type of card do I need and what would you recommend?

If you have an agp card go with that its the far better standard. Graphics cards are generally larger than most other cards so the slot is further back.

I would follow whooze's advice, he's very good at this kind of thing.

Pip

I appreciate all the views and advice offered - I just want to ensure compatibility. If I go for a All-In-One graphics card I need to know which one will work with the Dell and meet my needs. As explained, if I use the AGP slot it appears that I cannot link the cable from my monitor to the card as there is no access out of the back of the pc. Have I missed something here? :cry:

Do you the know the difference between an AGP slot? and a PCI slot?

http://koti.mbnet.fi/talggari/Harras...ohjaimelle.jpg

The small one toward the right is the AGP slot, and the other 3 are PCI

I was looking at some open pics of what the Dell Dimension 4600 looks from the inside, and I do not see an AGP slot. Maybe the camera angle is badly done. But I shall believe you. Okay I mean yeah, an AGP card is a little more powerful then a PCI card. But in the end of the day, you got yourself a good video card, which is better then what you curenntly have. (From the dell pictures an intergrated video card) :P But in the end it's how much you want to spend on one of these bad boys? www.newegg.com

Pip

Yes, it has a AGP slot (1x, 4X, 8X) but now I can see that it aligned with the back plates. I guess that it's a bit dark up here in the second bedroom. Thanks for your diligence and patience.

So, I have an integrated video card and would like a DVI connection plus digi TV capability. I've looked at Newegg and other sites but I'm still not sure what I should be looking at. None of the digi cards appear to have TV tuners?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Thre are two types of cards. One is the graphics card that can be either PCI (old and slow) AGP or the newest PCI express. The more graphical work you do or high end games you play the better a card you need.
    This card controls your display.
    The confusing part is some folk call graphics cards video cards. They are not.
    The other is a video capture card. It's function is to be able to watch TV on the computer, capture video from VCRs or Camcorders. They do not relate to the display features directly. Most come in either PCI card or external USB.
    Some folk call then TV cards.
    These cards generally do not require a high end graphics card.
    The All In One does both but compromises on everything.
    So if you want to play big time games, edit your academy awarding movie you just shot over the last year or plan to design the next sky scraper then you will need a powerful grahics card.
    If you are the average user who might edit the odd video, design a bedroom or play the odd game or two then choose a graphics card that is one or two releases older than the latest and greatest.
    If you want to watch TV on your computer you can choose from an array of Video Capture/TV cards. The Hauppauge I recommended does and excellent job and covers just about everything you would need. it will even allow you to watch cable.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast