Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stupid question

Default stupid question

ok.. i have this stupid question and im really not even sure how to ask it. i have this really nice monitor but ok heres the question what is the other part called>? you know the shell that holds your hard drive and all the guts to your computer. and where can i get a new one at a reasonable price to go along with my nice monitor?

I guess you mean the case. Some come with a power supply, others dont. They vary in price dependant on features they have.

Typical range here:
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...aspx?GroupID=8

If you tell is where your from it would help for suggestions on where to buy.

Hi Greenley - Firstly, there are no stupid questions here :wink:
    Does your computer sit flat on the desk, maybe with the monitor placed on top of it (desktop)? Or does it stand upright on the desk or on the floor (tower). Does it have any name/reference number on it? Check the back for labels. You could also download and run this free programme -
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    that will give a lot of information about your system that will help people here to point you in the right direction. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Are you planning on using your current parts (motherboard, hard drive, etc) and putting them in a new case? Basically, if that is what you are doing almost all computers made over the last several years use either an ATX or micro ATX motherboard. A micro will fit in an ATX or micro ATX case, but an ATX board will not fit in a micro ATX case. As Galena suggested, run Belarc Advisor and see what it lists for your mainboard. You can also tell what you have by taking the side of the case off and looking to see how many PCI slots are there (that's the slots where add in cards go). An ATX board usually has 5 white PCI slots while a micro ATX board usually has 3 (sometimes 2).

Charlie

Default just a new case

WHOA WHOA WHOA....i am ignorant when it comes to computers k? i have no idea what you just said..lol :? so um what i need is the hole kit and caboodle (is that how it goes) everything already done for me but at a reasonable price. nothing fancyits for my daughter. see usually i only see where you can buy the monitor and case ya know a package deal. never just the case alone. i only need the case with everything supplied..ive done searches but i dont really know what im looking for. get what im saying now?anybody hearin me? :?

Quote Originally Posted by Grim322
    Are you planning on using your current parts (motherboard, hard drive, etc) and putting them in a new case? Basically, if that is what you are doing almost all computers made over the last several years use either an ATX or micro ATX motherboard. A micro will fit in an ATX or micro ATX case, but an ATX board will not fit in a micro ATX case. As Galena suggested, run Belarc Advisor and see what it lists for your mainboard. You can also tell what you have by taking the side of the case off and looking to see how many PCI slots are there (that's the slots where add in cards go). An ATX board usually has 5 white PCI slots while a micro ATX board usually has 3 (sometimes 2).

Charlie

Default i need new case w/everything supplied

..like i said the computer will barely start, moreless download something . its not even connected to the internet yet its a piece of crap. i just need to know where i can get one basically.

Quote Originally Posted by galena1
    Hi Greenley - Firstly, there are no stupid questions here :wink:
    Does your computer sit flat on the desk, maybe with the monitor placed on top of it (desktop)? Or does it stand upright on the desk or on the floor (tower). Does it have any name/reference number on it? Check the back for labels. You could also download and run this free programme -
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    that will give a lot of information about your system that will help people here to point you in the right direction. Regards.

You are then just looking for a computer without the monitor. Dell has some reasonable priced computers. Charlie

yes, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim322
    You are then just looking for a computer without the monitor. Dell has some reasonable priced computers. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The case or box that contains all those bits is the actual computer.
    Buying a new one will depend on how much money you want to spend.
    You could go down the el-cheapo track and buy what is called a "Bare Bones" box which comes with all the basics needed to run a computer. You can often choose the what goes in it so ask for something that has a good upgrade path. This means you can increase it's cababilities and money becomes available. You could add your existing CD drives and floppy to it saving yet a little more.
    The other alternative is go to a medium size vendor who has been in business for at lest 3 years and tell them how much you want to spend and what you would like. The minimum would be a Pent IV 3mhz or and AMD 3000, 512 meg of memory ( 1 gig preferable in 2 lots of 512) and a decent graphics card. On board sound these days is as good as most sound cards.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default Re: stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by greenley30
    ok.. i have this stupid question and im really not even sure how to ask it. i have this really nice monitor but ok heres the question what is the other part called>? you know the shell that holds your hard drive and all the guts to your computer. and where can i get a new one at a reasonable price to go along with my nice monitor?
    i beleive it is called a tower. smaller shops like copputer boulevard in winnipeg probably sell them hope this helps. it was not a stupid question. oeejay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast