Default Problematic Dial Up

i don't have good experience setting up dial up web access and i have a friend in need. the pc is creating an account for dial up but the modem will not dial the access it just goes back to retry. upon calling sbc they said the modem needs to be on communication port 2 or even better yet comm port 3. i checked it out and it has only 2 ports comm port 1 and lpt port. it is running win me. way before though it had win98se and we used it just fine with dial up no problem at all. we moved on to cable and recently installed win me on it and this is the first attempt at setting up dail up on it. am wondering if the comm ports are o/s or physical pc based. it still has the original v90 modem on it which the os picks up and installs just fine. strangely however, i thought of trying the msn set up wizard and it could not pick up the modem - problem communicating with the modem. i checked the hard ware profile and the modem is installed ok. i am no idea how to proceed from here. or is upgrading it to Win Xp gonna make any difference? (and we will upgrade it accordingly in that case)

compaq 7360 presario, amd-k6 500mh, WinMe, 14GB, 128 MB
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.

Hi tex - Go to this link, compliments of Annoyances. org. It has a step-by-step procedure. Regards.
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-100#1
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

very informative page there.

thanx gelena for the lead. i think that page has a-z of all i need.
    we are created with an equal opportunity to be unequal.