Edd

Default Graphics card and RAM

HI i have an intergrated ati 9100 graphics card in my slightly old computer. I wonderd if i could upgrade this because it wont play the newest games . I also wonderd if i couldnt upgrade the graphics mabye i could get some more memory to make the computer faster does the type of graphics card have any relevence to the type of RAM you can buy. please help. Ed

Firstly, system Ram (plugged into the motherboard) and Video Ram (already installed on your graphics card) are two separate things. The video Ram can not be changed and if you want to increase this you will need to buy a new card. I just re-read your post and realised this is not what you were asking but in short your Video card does not dictate anything about the size or speed of your system Ram.

Although you say the clock speed of your processor you don't actually say what it is but I am assuming it is a 2.5 GHz Pentium 4. Similarly you don't say what speed your Ram is but I am guessing it is PC2700 which Runs at 333MHz.

What actually dictates the minimum speed of the Ram you can buy is the front side bus speed of your motherboard. You can find this out buy downloading CPU-Z here: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

The "FSB" at the bottom of the "CPU" tab will tell you your FSB. Times this by two to find out the speed of the Ram you can buy (as the Ram is DDR it runs at effectively twice the speed of the FSB). 333MHz is PC2700 and 400MHz is PC3200.

Also, CPU-Z will tell you the max AGP transfer rate (1x, 2x, 4x or 8x) that your motherboard will accept so you can be sure to get the right AGP card.

More Ram will probably improve the speed of your gaming but if you already have 512MB I would recommend a good graphics card first as this is usually the bottleneck for gamers.

I hope some of this info helps. I know it is a bit long winded but hopefully it makes sense and answers all of your questions.

Cheers, Dave.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Intergrated graphics steals ram up to a certain amount. Increasing RAM will not alter the maximum amount of Ram allocated.
    High end games require far more than most intergrated graphics chips can handle.
    Your option is to disable the onboard graphics and purchase a graphics card. I hope your motherboard has an AGP slot or a PCI Express slot.
    To play the latest games you would need something like a GeForce 6600 or a ATI Radeon X800. They are older cards but stand up pretty well with the latest ones and a lot lot cheaper.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.