Default Problem with email and picture files

Hi all,
    I have a very weird problem with sending pictures (either inserted or attached) with my emails. About 4 weeks ago, we got a virus on the PC and after a few days, I lost the ability to send a picture of any file type, including zip files, or Word documents which have pictures embedded, with emails. Note that the virus arrival did not stop picture sending, I think it was about 1 week after that I could no longer send emails with pictures, either inserted or attached.

We installed Trend Micro's PC-cillin and that didn't solve the problem. I had numerous phone calls with my ISP who said it wasn't a problem at their end. We reformatted and reinstalled XP and everything else onto the PC. No change at all. Still can't send the pictures with emails. I can send txt files or files that contain no pictures, but if there's a picture in there it doesn't go. What actually happens is that I create an email, insert or attach a picture, click on Send, and the mail starts sending but then the mail server (seems) to stop responding and after 30 seconds, I get a message about the mail server no longer responding, and the email sits in the Outbox without ever getting sent.

I have checked all the usual settings - Internet Options, Outlook Express tools and accounts, Network Connections properties for the ISP connection, and Trend Micro's settings on Outgoing Mail and although everything that I can find is set to be able to send and receive pictures with emails, it just doesn't work.

My last two options are changing ISPs and buying a new computer. If anyone has seen this problem before, or has any ideas, it would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
    Toni

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Select Tools> Options... from the menu in Outlook Express> Send tab.
    Click the HTML Settings... button under Mail Sending Format> make sure Send pictures with messages is checked> OK >OK.

Hi,
    Thanks but yes, I've already done that.

T

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

First contact your ISP. If you had a virus then you may have inadvertantly sent it to someone else.
    I say this because it certainly sounds like their mail server is killing any email that exceeds what would be a typical text email size.
    Also check your own Firewall. It may have detected the virus and is preventing anything bar text from being sent.
    I would also do an online virus check at say www.pcpitstop.com.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Hi,
    Yes, I tried that first, but the ISP says that it is not blocking anything, it's not their policy to block emails. Also, a very large text file as an attachment can be sent, and very small (14kb) graphic files cannot, so it seems to be picture file format (or zip) only.

The firewall setting is to scan incoming mail but not outgoing, and to allow pictures to be sent with emails - I can't find any other settings at all to check on. But in addition we uninstalled PC-cillin and tried to send emails with pictures and that didn't work either.

PC-cillin is reinstalled and runs checks on viruses on this machine daily, and the machine is clean. Unless there is a very obscure setting in XP or in the registry, I can't think where else to look.

Thanks anyway,

Toni