Default removing SystemWorks

Tried uninstalling Nortons SysteWworks 2006 and hung up with a 9999.271 error. Followed instructions, downloaded Sym.NRT, and tried using it. Lost my computer entirely as it corrupted one of my system files and I could not get back to Windows to use a previous backup CD. Spent 3 hours on phone with Microsoft before I could get the computer back and operating. Am petrified to try using this SymNRT download again. How do I clean this up. I want to completely uninstall so that I might try instaling again. Right now I cannot do either; uninstall or reinstall. Above all; I do not want another 3 hour telephone session with Microsoft. Really don't know if I want to use it again if I can get rid of it.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Try looking for "Uninstalling and reinstalling your Symantec program after you see error messages" in the Symantec knowledge base.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I used to have Norton utilities the complete system works, I had all your problems plus others. Norton do provide an uninstall on their site somewhere, I note you are going to reinstall, myself I would sooner hit myself on the head with a large frying pan for a few hours.
    If you want a good antivirus try AVG and Zonealarm is a good Firewall

This is from Symantec's web site:
    Section 1: Can I use SymNRT?
    Use SymNRT only if one or both of these situations applies to you:

* You have tried to uninstall the Norton program using Windows Add/Remove Programs and that did not work.
    * You were instructed to use it by another Symantec document or a Symantec Technical Support technician.

So I would call Symantec's Technical Support, and describe your problem and see if they instruct you to use it.

Another alternative, back up all of the documents and files you want to save, reformat and reinstall the operating system but don't install Systemworks. Drastic measures, but Nortons programs have a tendancy to hang on worse than the viruses they are supposed to prevent.

Charlie

Hi Brud
    I had to do what Grim322 suggested, I had my disc wiped and W98se reinstalled ;I could not do this myself so had to pay £50 for the work done, dont know what it would cost now as I needed it done in 2004.
    I paid about £58 for the Norton Utilities- it is still in my selected rubbish draw as I cant throw it away,but I will so I am never tempted to reinstall it, yes I do not like Norton; but lets face it in its way it is a brilliant program and millions of people use it every second of every day and have no trouble and Norton antivirus is very popular, so there you go folks Cheers Jim.