Default SpyAxe - Is there a Firewall available that can stop it?

Hello,

I’m not sure which forum to post this topic in?

I've been working with steamwiz in the “Spyware Help” Forum in hopes of eradicating this most offensive "toy"! I say “toy” because it’s almost like this is playing out more like some kind of twisted game rather then dealing with a "simple" virus or trojan or whatever?

I really don't know how people can find building and distributing these types of things amusing but it seems they do?

Anyway, what I would like to know is, if I don't want to play, is there a Firewall out there that is smart enough to stop this scourge?

When I told someone in a retail store all I had was the XP Firewall I could tell by the smirk on their face what they thought of my "choice" of protection.

So I guess this posting is a wee bit rant but mostly for advice on Firewalls

Thanks in advance for any help that might be offered.

Hi, well i'm not going to say it will stop it, as steamwiz knows how it installs i would think but as for a firewall i would recommend the ZoneAlarm free this will give you much more protection than the windows firewall, you will have to disable the windows XP firewall, But as far as spyaxe then i think this installs as Adware trojan

And if you take a look at the recommended software at the bottom of steamwiz post you will see other programs to help protect you such as spywareblaster and spywareguard, i know very little about spyaxe i am not sure what browser you are using but if you are using IE i would try Firefox or opera as they are in general more secure than IE but remember there is no such thing as a safe browser just safer

But ZoneAlarm free will give you much better protection than XP firewall, also when you get your putter clean do regular online virus scans and free trendmicro Anti-spyware scan and make sure your AV is up to date and only run 1 resident Antivirus and 1 Firewall on your system so i would say NO there is not a firewall that will guard against spyaxe but get ZoneAlarm much better protection and take a look at recommended software at bottom of steamwiz posts how to keep your computer safe

Firewall
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...ku_list_za.jsp

Paul

The problem with trying to stop such programs with a firewall is that programs such as SpyAxe usually ask for and are granted permission to install on your computer. You just don't realize what you are saying yes to. Always read the fine print that comes with the "I agree" or "I accept" boxes. Once you grant permission through your firewall, the firewall will ignor it. Charlie

Hi Paul & Charlie

Thanks for the replies.

I will definately check out steamwiz's recommendations and the ZoneAlarm Firewall.

On the subject of "fine print" I have to admit that in the last few days I haven't read much of it when installing the various scanners and fixes but I had a far idea that all would be fine with these

Now that you bring it to my attention though, just before this situation occurred we had installed the Winamp Player which came with "100 FREE MP3's from eMusic". I wonder if that's how we got messed with? So far it's only an icon, we haven't activated the account (or is it automatic?)

I better go see if I can find and read that agreement :?

Take care,
    LH