Default XP Corrupt Hive Blue Screen Massacre

Hi,

I'm not very good with computers and have found this problem diagnosed on other stes but Im afraid I need kids terms to be able to get my head around it. When I try to start up my computer there is a screen saying something about a corrupt hive and system32/config/software which is corrupt and it is beginning a dump of physical memory.

I cant even get it to start in safe mode. I read that you need to do something with your windows xp setup cd but my problem is that Im studying abroad and I dont have it with me. Is there any way I could download it or fix my problem without using it?

I am concerned my files may be at risk but as am poor student cant afford someone to fix it

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Can you give us the exact error message ?

BG

It only flashes up very briefly before restarting again - but from what I can gather it says

STOP C0000218 (Registry File Failure)
    The registry cannot load the hive file
    /systemroot/system32/config/software
    or its log or alternate

It is corrupt, absent or

Beginning dump of physical memory

What brand of computer and do you know if you had an actual Windows XP installation CD or just a sytem restore disk (or disks) from the manufactuer?
    When you hit f8 for safe mode does the option screen come up? If it does try "Last known good configuration" Charlie

Its toshiba ea60-191. I cant remember if I had a cd or not - I do remember that it was already installed on my computer when I bought it. I have tried last known good configuration but the same still happens.

This is a link to repair procedure.
    http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...air_a_stop.htm
    It is quite lengthy and requires an XP installation disk and it says it will NOT work with a computer that uses a restore disk, so it may not work for you. We already tried the easy way (last known good configuration), so this is the hard way. If you have files you need to retrieve, I would recommend getting your hands on a Linux Live CD, either Knoppix or MEPIS. Set your computer to boot from the CD, boot off the Linux CD. You wil be able to view your Windows files. If you have 2 CD drives, boot from the one that is not a CD burner, then burn your files to CD for safe keeping. K3B is the CD burning program on the Linux disks. Info on Linux live CDs here: http://www.help2go.com/article241.html

Charlie

I found this info, so the above procedure will probably not work.

Toshiba -- Toshiba ships a restore DVD with the original factory configuration on it. Booting with this DVD will trigger a Ghost-like restore process that will revert everything to the factory settings. AFAIK there is no way to get a regular OEM Windows CD from Toshiba, so you're probably out of luck if you want to do a repair install.

I have tried to do this and have got so far to the copying of the system files but the problem hasnt gone away as when I have gone to copy the config/software file it claims not to be able to find it.

This is the file which keeps cropping up on the blue screen as being corrupt or absent - can you help any further?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

There is a chance that this can be fixed.
    One possible problem is that the Plug'N'Play settings in the BIOS are disabled.
    I suggest that you do two things.
    One is to access the BIOS setting (ususally by pressing the Del key when booting up and making sure Plug'N'Play is active.
    Disconnect printer etc and any extra drives.
    If this works you should be able to boot up.
    Upgrade the bios (flash the bios with the appropriate download from the Bios makers website or the computer makers site)
    Also check the memory for problems.
    None of these procedures should affect the hard drive data so hopefully you will get to the stage where you will be able to back up those essential files then reinstall via the restore disk.

If by chance you cannot even access the BIOS settings then alas you have a major hardware problem, probably a damaged motherboard.
    A savvy person should still be able toa ccess the data on the drive.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.